Motherboard M.2 issues and compatibility question

Sep 28, 2018
Hi,

I have a question about M.2 and motherboard compatibility in general.
I have a B450 Tomahawk motherboard and it has a single m.2 slot that supports PCI-E and SATA drives. Without checking the compatibility list, I bought an 860 Evo Sata m.2 drive which won't show up in my bios. Asking msi about it, they said to refer to the compatibility list, suggesting that's the issue. However, none of my other hardware other than my cpu is on their list they all work fine.

Is there any reason for any drive not to work if not specifically compatible with the motherboard?

Solution
with m2 and ssd make sure your mb has the newest bios on it. with m2 and sata devices due to lack of pci lanes on newer intel and amd cpu some sata ports are turned off if an m2 drive is installed. make sure you dont have m2 and sata port connected so both get disabled. some m2 drives you may need to turn on raid and set the new m2 drive as a sata 0 drive.
Sep 28, 2018

I've checked the manual and bios after updating and there are no M.2 options while the only sata options I have are switching between AHCI/Raid and using hot plug. From what I've read, I'd imagine that should be a thing for M.2 slots that support both sata and pci-e but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

with m2 and ssd make sure your mb has the newest bios on it. with m2 and sata devices due to lack of pci lanes on newer intel and amd cpu some sata ports are turned off if an m2 drive is installed. make sure you dont have m2 and sata port connected so both get disabled. some m2 drives you may need to turn on raid and set the new m2 drive as a sata 0 drive.

Solution