[SOLVED] Motherboard M.2 Slots

Dec 28, 2018
The z390 Aorus Master comes with three m.2 slots, one M2M, one M2A, and one M2P, if i buy two Samsung Evo 970 NVME m.2 SSD cards, will both fit? only one of the M.2 slots is the exact size of the card, can i still use the other SSD in another M.2 slot and hold it in place using the heatsink and screw provided?

Solution

I think that's just an internal naming convention.

From the user manual, pg 34:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-audio.pdf
Installation Notices for the PCIEX4, M.2 and SATA Connectors:
Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected
by the type of device installed in the M2. sockets. The M2M connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5
connectors. The M2A connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 1; the M2P connector shares bandwidth with
the PCIEX4 connector. Refer to the following tables for detail

USAFRet

Titan

As always, you go to the motherboard specs for this:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#sp
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P)

The SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 is form factor M.2 2280. That means it uses the M key. And it is 22mm wide and 80 mm long.

Three of these drives will fit. All three slots are listed as 4x/2x. But more than one M.2 drive may run at the slower 2x.

I'm still wondering about the designations though (M.2A, M.2M, M.2 P.). I haven't found any firm information on M.2A. And all three are listed as M key. I think M.2P means that it also accepts the P key.

You should be able to fit at least two Samsung Evo 970 NVME m.2 SSD (M.2 2280).

Dec 28, 2018

The visual difference that i can tell you is the length of the heatsink in the M2 Slot, for example in the M2P slot, the heatsink is a perfect size fit for the M.2 2280 whereas the M2A slot is longer, and the M2M slot even longer still. the takeaway from this though, is that the 970 evo 2280 should fit in any of the slots, even though the slots are too long, and it will be the heatsink post/screw holding the card in place, instead of a singular post/screw for the heatsink AND card?

Dec 28, 2018

i did read that, the confusion came in the different lengths of the slots, two of those read as being the same, however, all three slots are different lengths and i was worried i might mess something up putting it in the wrong slot.

USAFRet

Titan

The 970 EVO is 2280.
22mm wide, 80mm long.

It will physically fit in all 3, and all 3 have the proper protocol for that drive.

What does M2A indicate? Does M2P indicate M and P key?

USAFRet

Titan

I think that's just an internal naming convention.

From the user manual, pg 34:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-audio.pdf
Installation Notices for the PCIEX4, M.2 and SATA Connectors:
Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected
by the type of device installed in the M2. sockets. The M2M connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5
connectors. The M2A connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 1; the M2P connector shares bandwidth with
the PCIEX4 connector. Refer to the following tables for detail

Solution

I can generally find this type of information fairly easily. But this nomenclature is about as clear as mud.