Question Motherboard not being able to recognize RX580 with i3-12100F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2023
Here's my specs first of all:
  • RX580 8GB
  • I3-12100F
-16GB DDR4 2666

ALL of them are new, so there shouldn't be any issues.

My problem at the moment is:
-I cannot output any video on my RX580
-My motherboard is showing an error LED saying that it couldn't detect a video connection (No video output signal)
-I tried my 1030 on the same motherboard and CPU, it does output video
-I tried my RX580 on a DIFFERENT motherboard (It's an 1155 socket CPU, I forgot what the spec is) and it DOES output video for a while, then after driver installation, it fails aswell.
-It doesn't output any video after installing the oldest & latest Adrenalin & Pro drivers

I've tried:
-Changing the BIOS
-Resetting the CMOS
-Updating BIOS
-Entering safe mode
-Resetting Windows
-Downgrading & upgrading drivers

Is there any other solutions that might help?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU(and it's age if it's been in service for a while) for the platform you're intending to drop the discrete GPU into. Make and model of the motherboard and it's BIOS version?

The GPU's brand new or do you mean it's new for you but it was purchased used?

Mar 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU(and it's age if it's been in service for a while) for the platform you're intending to drop the discrete GPU into. Make and model of the motherboard and it's BIOS version?

The GPU's brand new or do you mean it's new for you but it was purchased used?

I'll list the answers to your questions by order:
-The PSU is a standard ThermalTake 600w 80 PLUS (Bought from CanadaComputers, if that helps)
-The model (believe me, I don't spend much on motherboards) is a JGINYUE B760M. Before you say there's some wonky BIOS, I get it lol, I belive there is too, but the seller says there shouldn't have any issues slapping the RX580 into it.
-The BIOS version, I got no clue, but I can assure you it's the latest.
-The GPU is a little used, apparently. But the CPU, RAM, PSU are all new.

Lutfij

Titan
ThermalTake 600w 80 PLUS
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 600W is the advertised wattage of the unit. 80 plus is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating for the unit. Please add the model to the unit.

the seller says there shouldn't have any issues slapping the RX580 into it.
Seller's ill never accept there's something wrong with their product. It might very well be an issue with the BIOS, you should check out CraftComputing's YT channel, he got burned on a recent board from Aliexpress.

Mar 2, 2023
ThermalTake 600w 80 PLUS
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 600W is the advertised wattage of the unit. 80 plus is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating for the unit. Please add the model to the unit.

the seller says there shouldn't have any issues slapping the RX580 into it.
Seller's ill never accept there's something wrong with their product. It might very well be an issue with the BIOS, you should check out CraftComputing's YT channel, he got burned on a recent board from Aliexpress.

- I don't know what the model is, but here's the link: https://www.canadacomputers.com/pro...item_id=103030&sid=s05oea2gr0ontp9rm2v40ius20

- Understood, so it does make sense because after the "PCI Express" update from Windows, it died and does not output any video afterwards. And, at the moment, it killed my AC1200 Wireless Adapater.

Likely, your RX580 is looking for a legacy bios and is finding a UEFI bios.
IN your bios, there should be an option to enable CSM which lets legacy graphics cards run.
When the rx580 was released, there was a transition from simple text based monochrome bios to uefi. Some cards could talk to both, but not all. Some had switches to change mode.

Mar 2, 2023
That's not a reliably built PSU. Given how you can get the GPU to work on another platform.

-Not very sure but the GPU failed after drivers installation. Some (And I mean the Pentium and AMD) of them lasted for about 8 hours till it decided to not output a thing. Here're the testbeds I've used

-Celeron G1840, ASUS H81M-E MicroATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150, 8GB DDR3 3200, same PSU
-Pentium G840, Lenovo H520 Motherboard & Gateway H67H2-AD, 16GB DDR3 2666, random 400w PSU (I don't know what the name is)

And another AMD testbed, I don't remember what the specs are, sorry!

Lutfij

Titan
testbeds I've used
Open test bed? If so that rules out overheating in (assuming)a badly designed case.

The GPU is a little used, apparently.
lasted for about 8 hours till it decided to not output a thing

That sounds very much like the GPU's giving up.

Mar 2, 2023
Likely, your RX580 is looking for a legacy bios and is finding a UEFI bios.
IN your bios, there should be an option to enable CSM which lets legacy graphics cards run.
When the rx580 was released, there was a transition from simple text based monochrome bios to uefi. Some cards could talk to both, but not all. Some had switches to change mode.

I did try it on Legacy Video on my 12100F setup but it still says there's a GPU failure. After inspecting the PCI slot, there's nothing damaged or at least no visible damage.

But the last time it did work, it was on UEFI boot after a CMOS reset and it worked UNTIL I installed the Windows update. I installed the drivers offline, and there was no problem restarting it. But as soon as Windows updated itself (because I installed a fresh copy), it updated the PCI and after restarting, it just died.

Mar 2, 2023
testbeds I've used
Open test bed? If so that rules out overheating in (assuming)a badly designed case.

The GPU is a little used, apparently.
lasted for about 8 hours till it decided to not output a thing

That sounds very much like the GPU's giving up.

I'm not sure if the case is the one overheating it because as far as I'm concerned, it's extremely open.
It's not the exact one, but it looks just like this, except it has more fans and bigger:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3htT2KaaJM

Also, I don't disagree that the GPU is on the brink of giving up, that might also be the problem because I've used my 1030, which is new and bought from Canada Computers, with absolutely no problems with drivers or PCI.

Lutfij

Titan
The GT1030 and the RX580 are not the same TDP GPU. If the GPU was bought used there's no way of verifying that it was used for mining. If you owned the GPU in question from the get go, then it's best you source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with 650W of power for the entire system and see if the issue persists. Also, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers before reinstalling with the latest?

Mar 2, 2023
The GT1030 and the RX580 are not the same TDP GPU. If the GPU was bought used there's no way of verifying that it was used for mining. If you owned the GPU in question from the get go, then it's best you source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with 650W of power for the entire system and see if the issue persists. Also, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers before reinstalling with the latest?

-Good point because I forgot to mention, the seller for the motherboard mentioned that mining GPUs won't work on some motherboards. So it's possible that the GPU I bought was used for mining

-I'll try to find a 650w power supply and see if it does indeed persists because I haven't tested that.

-Yes I have used DDU multiple times, didn't help at all.

Mar 2, 2023
Ok here's a follow-up:
I've tried 4 different PSUs that work ranging from 250w to 500w, non of them helped.

Edit: I know you said 650w, but that's all I can find for now.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023
Okay...

So I popped to Dollarama and got WD-40 from there. Then I voided my warranty by opening it up and using my sketchy skills as an engineering student, I identified that the problem was the lack of solder on the pin connections between the PCB traces and the DisplayPort & HDMI. In which I don't have a solder station, so I can't really do that now.

The temporary solution is absolutely bizarre:
I sprayed the ENTIRE PCB with WD-40, and guess what? It worked. It passed the updates & drivers stage and it's now functioning as it's supposed to. However, as the WD-40 began to dry out, it started having the same issue, so I sprayed the entire PCB with WD-40 again and it's back to normal.

Guess I have to replace the graphics card. But for now, my entire PC smells like WD-40 lol.

Lutfij

Titan
so I sprayed the entire PCB with WD-40 again and it's back to normal.
You might want to be aware that PCB are porous and WD40 although a water displacer is actually fuel...you want to set your house on fire, be our guest, just know that we do not endorse people in harming themselves or others.

To add, you shouldn't award yourself with the Best Answer and no your latest post isn't exactly a solution!

Closing thread since it's gone beyond the point of being useful to any person on the www.

Status
Not open for further replies.