[SOLVED] Motherboard not detecting CPU or RAM

Jun 5, 2020
I tried upgrading my CPU fan from the stock intel one that comes with your CPU to a better one. After finishing the installation of the new fan my computer would start but no display would come up. I made sure there wasn’t a problem with any connections or power supply but everything seems to be in order. Upon closer inspection my MSI motherboard has a debug LED that holds red on DRAM and flicks to CPU for a fraction of a second before holding red again on DRAM again. I looked into the light and it tells me either my CPU or RAM is not being detected. I took apart the cooling fan and checked the pins on the motherboard for the CPU and there aren’t any that are bent. As for the ram I tried using only one stick in the best DIMM slot and the problem persists. I also cleared my CMOS as an extra resort. If anyone has a solution for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Very strange. Maybe you need to clear CMOS each time you change slots? Make sure your system is completely powered down, including the PSU switch on the back while changing slots.
Jun 5, 2020
Specs:
Motherbaord: MSI H170A
CPU: intel core i5
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060
RAM: 2x 8GB (Crucial)
Boot Drive: 1TB HDD
PSU: EVG 450 B
Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Hyper212x Turbo

Jun 5, 2020
When you tried a single RAM stick, did you use the DIMM2 slot (it's the second closest to the CPU)?
I tried putting the RAM in the 2nd slot and it doesn’t work, but I tried a single stick in the 4th slot and the computer turned on normally. Then I added a second stick to the second slot and it stops working again

Jun 5, 2020
It sounds like slot #2 is bad. I think you'll be fine with them in slots 1 and 3. If you have CPU-Z, bring it up and see if you're running in dual channel and at the speed your expecting from your RAM.
I’m not sure why, but only slots 3 and 4 work now, I tested 2 different pairs of RAM and all 4 sticks work on their own in both slots 3 and 4, but if I put anything into slots one and two the DRAM light persists and the display doesn’t show up

TRENDING THREADS