Motherboard not detecting GPU

Greysonj

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
My motherboard (MSI Gaming 5) won't detect my MSI 970, and in turn I cannot use the HDMI port on it. The DVI from the motherboard works. I've tried both PCI-E slots to no avail. I've installed the new drivers. It's also probably worth mentioning that the 970 isn't showing up in the BIOS. At this point, I'm just stumped. Does the sound like a motherboard or GPU problem? Any other thoughts?

Greysonj

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Auxiliary power? And I just checked the BIOS. Not seeing any setting to change the graphics input.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Ruh Roh. On the back of the video card, one or two rectangular 6 or 8 pin plugs? As in they provide power to the graphics card? As in those don't have power going to them the graphics card won't work? Here's a pic, look at the two plugs on the far right side of the card, one is an 8pin power, the other a 6pin power. BOTH must have the appropriate power supply leads plugged into them.

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2014/09/MSI-GeForce-GTX-970-GAMING-TF5-2.jpg

And leave the BIOS video initialize first to PEG.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Correct. You need two power cables from your PSU, one 8-pin and one 6-pin. If your PSU only has 4-pin Molex connectors, there are adaptor cables available.

On your BIOS, it seems correctly set to PEG (PCI Enhanced Graphics). IGD is Integrated Graphics Device, which you don't want to select when using a separate GPU (except perhaps temporarily until you get your GPU connected properly).