[SOLVED] Motherboard not working, even with shorting

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hi all,

I've been looking through the forums and have followed different and helpful threads, but nothing has yet helped me with my issue. I would really appreciate some help here.

Tech spec is:
Mobo - Asus x470F
CPU - Ryzon 2700x
AMD cooler Fan
PSU vs650
M.2 970 1TB
2x8 Corsair RAM
ATX silent case

Currently when I have everything set up, I turn on the PSU and the mother board lights up (Not the RAM, this stays dark), but nothing else happens. One LED turns on next to the HDD slots but nothing else.

PSU troubleshooting
I have shorted the PSU on its own and it works, so I can rule that out. It turns the fans. All the voltage looks ok to on the multimeter

RAM
I have switched around the RAM dims and also tried with only one stick and same result.

CPU
Ive taken out the CPu and looked at the pins, all looks straight to me. One thing though, when ever I clean off the CPU (carefully) and reapply the tp, the heatsink/cooler seems to be able to lift the CPU out of the socket, even though the CPU is firmly in place with the latch (so maybe it's not firmly in place some of you are now saying) but I've also tried to boot for a few seconds just with the CPU on its own and the same result, nothing.

MOBO
I've checked for any blown capacitors, looks ok to me. Also I have tried shorting the power pins with a screw driver and nothing happens, even though I know the PSU is working fine.

Speaker
No beeps at all coming from this, Mobo is not allowing anything from it so I can't troubleshoot the beeps.

I don't have any GPU installed just yet as it's being delivered. A question, which maybe a silly one, does the motherboard require a GPU to start? I have read the manual and I didn't see that stated anywhere.

Any and all help is very much welcomed. Thanks in advance

Solution
Only G version Ryzen CPUs ie 2400g have integrated graphics making those motherboard video ports useless without these CPUs. Ya need a graphics card 😉

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I saw that. Just put the link in for others "with virtually the same problem".:sarcastic:

Np dude, we have a mod clearing things here, see thread;

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
That's right, your 2700x doesn't have integrated graphics to make the mobo's video ports work.

When you get a graphics card, plug the video cable directly to it.
A friend has the 2600 which as I understand doesnt have integrated graphics. He was able to boot his without his GPU....I cant find anything that says a GPU would be a hard prereq for the system to start up.

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Won't have a display without working graphics be it cpu or gpu. You must be mistaken for an Intel i7 2600? They have integrated graphics.
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that AMD 2600 do not have integrated graphics? If we go under this assumption, and a system can still boot without a GPU and the CPU is an AMD 2600, would this rule out the idea of needing a GPU just to boot the system?

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Only G model Ryzen processors have igpu, the rest don't. You need a dedicated graphics card, there will be no display without one.
https://www.quora.com/Does-Ryzen-5-2600-have-integrated-graphics-And-if-so-what-is-the-name-of-it
When you say display....what exactly do you mean? My problem hasn't nothing to do with the display, my whole system is refusing the start...My CPU fan wont turn, neither will the case fans, ie: the motherboard is not getting any signal to start. I cant really think this would be caused by not having a GPU, i'm by all means the furthest thing from an expert but it doesn't fit with the symptoms to me?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your motherboard is detecting no graphics card so no, it wont boot.

Get the graphics card first, put it in then we'll proceed. 'If' there are other problems, ill be more than happy to help but first lets jump the first obvious hurdle and get a graphics card in there :)

Reactions: dudio

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Your motherboard is detecting no graphics card so no, it wont boot.

Get the graphics card first, put it in then we'll proceed. 'If' there are other problems, ill be more than happy to help but first lets jump the first obvious hurdle and get a graphics card in there :)
Okey dude :) Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome, keep us posted.

In the meantime, double check and go over plugs and connectors making sure everything is plugged where they're meant to be prior to the GPUs arrival.

So you expected the computer to boot HEADLESS (no display necessary) like a server? Sure some can do that, but not when it's NEW, 'cuz it expects you to do some required configuration. No display, can't tell you what to configure. The chicken or the egg. Find something to keep u entertained while waiting for that GPU.

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
So you expected the computer to boot HEADLESS (no display necessary) like a server? Sure some can do that, but not when it's NEW, 'cuz it expects you to do some required configuration. No display, can't tell you what to configure. The chicken or the egg. Find something to keep u entertained while waiting for that GPU.
Thanks for the input, never thought of it that way.

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Only G version Ryzen CPUs ie 2400g have integrated graphics making those motherboard video ports useless without these CPUs. Ya need a graphics card 😉
Indeed this was the solution. Plugged in the 2060 and it started up straight away and purring like a kitten! Thanks very much for your help