Question Motherboard (or CPU) electric noise. Solution?

Nov 16, 2020
Hey all,

Motherboard Model is: Intel Z490 Ace

The issue is the following:
There is a strange electric noise(not coil whine) coming close to the cpu/back io shield/vrm area.
Links with the sound in videos below:
1.Under Load:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6UkHHltqg&ab

2. No load (constant sound):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUF-CJoG20&ab

Specs of the system are:
CPU: i9-10900k which I am not overclocking but let it boost by itself. I am only using MSI's default settings and did not change anything in the BIOS.
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Ventus (not overclocked)
PSU: Corsair RM750x (750watt)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz (I have checked and it is compatible with the MOBO)
Cooling System: It is a 360 liquid cooler so the temperatures are max 30 on iddle and max 65 on load

I would like to comment here that the only change in my system was the MOBO and CPU. My previous MOBO was an MSI z390 carbon and I had zero issues with it. I made sure that this noise is not coming from the GPU or PSU, fans or any other part.

What I have tried already:

1. Cleared CMOS and reset to optimal settings: Did not fix the issue

2. Disabled Intel EIST, C State and C1E: Did not fix the issue

3. The third action I was asked to perform is set a specific CPU ratio which I did and not fixed the issue.

Could you please assist me with this issue as I would like to be able to use my PC without being afraid that I will destroy my CPU?

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the long post.

Lutfij

Titan
The noise you're speaking of, if it's not a wire brushing up against a fan inside the chassis, is actually coil whine and it's coming from the power delivery area of the motherboard. You can bring this up with MSI and see if they will RMA the board on grounds that this might have a compromised power delivery area.

I took a listen to the video again and I'm thinking it might be the impeller inside the AIO. If anything see if the placement of the radiator changes the sound experienced from the system.

Reactions: ByronT
Nov 16, 2020
The noise you're speaking of, if it's not a wire brushing up against a fan inside the chassis, is actually coil whine and it's coming from the power delivery area of the motherboard. You can bring this up with MSI and see if they will RMA the board on grounds that this might have a compromised power delivery area.

I took a listen to the video again and I'm thinking it might be the impeller inside the AIO. If anything see if the placement of the radiator changes the sound experienced from the system.

Dear Luftij,

Thanks for the answer. It cannot be from the AIO as I installed it on Friday and the noise was pre existing since Tuesday.

My guess is also from the motherboard. Do you think there is a chance that it is caused by the processor itself?