Question Motherboard or RAM issue ?

OP7

Aug 9, 2022
My system:
Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4
Intel core i5 12600K
TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 3600Mhz CL18 32GB (2x16)
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
Cosrsair RM850I

Had a problem all of a sudden with one of my ram sticks, I figured it's only one because my system recognized only 16 GB instead of 32 that I had from two sticks, afterwards I removed the sticks and tried them in a different order and then I tried them one by one and I saw that I get the orange motherboard led from just one stick, a few hours after that I restarted my PC I got the orange motherboard LED from the other ram stick also is it possible the motherboard ram slots damage the ram or is it something else?

OP7

Aug 9, 2022
I build this pc almost a year ago worked without issues, I have a corsair h100i pump on my cpu and I didnt event touched that, this time just the ram sticks I used a little bit of force on them to make sure they are inserted all the way but nothing too rough, and I also removed my gpu so I can get to the cmos battery and used my cpu graphics for the time being, that was when everything worked for a bit and then a simple restart and orange led from the one good ram stick

OP7

Aug 9, 2022
I used the bios flaehback tool to update it, i get the same error from both the ram sticks, tried changing psu cable to one that is good,

What else can I do? I don't get it this pc worked perfectly for a year and now this, also I dont know if I should buy new ram or even try different ram because as I mentioned before one of the sticks worked perfectly and then after doing a simple restart to my computer I get the same orange motherboard led and no post,
Please any help would be very much appreciated

Edit: also I forgot to mention the rgb on the ram sticks works when I turn on the pc

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
What else can I do? I don't get it this pc worked perfectly for a year and now this, also I dont know if I should buy new ram or even try different ram because as I mentioned before one of the sticks worked perfectly and then after doing a simple restart to my computer I get the same orange motherboard led and no post,
Please any help would be very much appreciated

Try to reseat cooler (especially if it is AIO). Intel LGA holder design is bit dumb as you can apply uneven pressure easily. With uneven pressure some pins may have bad contact and one of ways it can happen is that you will lose one or few of RAM channels.
Turn them by half of screw turn each at once, then repeat until you will feel resistance. Don't tighten screws too much and do it diagonally
1------4
3------2

OP7

Aug 9, 2022
Try to reseat cooler (especially if it is AIO). Intel LGA holder design is bit dumb as you can apply uneven pressure easily. With uneven pressure some pins may have bad contact and one of ways it can happen is that you will lose one or few of RAM channels.
Turn them by half of screw turn each at once, then repeat until you will feel resistance. Don't tighten screws too much and do it diagonally
1------4
3------2

So I tried to realign the aio cooler and I did it very gently very slowly as I did in the first time I was very careful with it and I stopped tightening once I started to feel resistance, I also took pictures of the CPU socket pins just to make sure that everything is correctly and I'm going to post them here

I also took the RAM sticks and tried them on another PC of a friend of mine and just like in my PC he could not get a post so at that point I think the problem isolated to the RAM sticks the question is if I order or try a different sticks is it possible that the motherboard Ram slots will damage the RAM sticks?

because as I mentioned before one of the sticks worked just fine and after a short time it didn't work

Cpu socket pictures in this link got as close as I could:
Please tell me if anything doesn't look right to you in those pictures

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Oh, ok, so CPU socket is fine at least on glance i couldn't see any abnormal pins, don't worry on this part much.

I also took the RAM sticks and tried them on another PC of a friend of mine and just like in my PC he could not get a post so at that point I think the problem isolated to the RAM sticks the question is if I order or try a different sticks is it possible that the motherboard Ram slots will damage the RAM sticks?

And such way you pretty much localized that problem is in RAM.
Answer is - quite unlikely for faulty RAM to damage something except personal data or OS.
As well as quite unlikely there to be such RAM slot damage to be able to harm RAM sticks as well. Power surge can fry RAM though, as well as any other component. But it is more of power supply and home electricity quality problem

Last edited:

OP7

Aug 9, 2022
Oh, ok, so CPU socket is fine at least on glance i couldn't see any abnormal pins, don't worry on this part much.

And such way you pretty much localized that problem is in RAM.
Answer is - quite unlikely for faulty RAM to damage something except personal data or OS.
As well as quite unlikely there to be such RAM slot damage to be able to harm RAM sticks as well. Power surge can fry RAM though, as well as any other component. But it is more of power supply and home electricity quality problem

I do have a surge protector only thing connected to it is the PSU Power cord which I also tried to switch with a confirmed working cord, and PSU is gold+ good brand also, I contacted the RAM manufacturer support my warranty still valid hopefully we can resolve this.
Thank you so much helping me walk through this and everyone else who suggested possible solutions.