[SOLVED] Motherboard PCI-E Section Power When Using Risers

Oct 20, 2020
When using a riser to attach a graphics card to the system, the riser is powered separately with 3 options - molex, sata, pci-e.

What is not clear to me is if I also need to connect the cable from the PSU to the motherboard, the one that powers the PCIE section.

I don't see this mentioned anywhere but would like to make sure.

Solution
When using a riser to attach a graphics card to the system, the riser is powered separately with 3 options - molex, sata, pci-e.

What is not clear to me is if I also need to connect the cable from the PSU to the motherboard, the one that powers the PCIE section.

It would depend on the motherboard and the setting you have on the risers. For example, if you set the riser to "PCIe" then you would DEFINITELY need the motherboard connection to the power supply.
Is this a "mining" motherboard with a lot of X1 slots?

kanewolf

Titan

It would depend on the motherboard and the setting you have on the risers. For example, if you set the riser to "PCIe" then you would DEFINITELY need the motherboard connection to the power supply.
Is this a "mining" motherboard with a lot of X1 slots?

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Yes it is. It's the GA-H110-D3A.

What do you mean exactly by "set the riser to PCIe"?
In your original post you said "the riser is powered separately with 3 options - molex, sata, pci-e" I interpreted that to mean that the riser can be powered by any one of the three options.
I am not impressed that the board uses molex connectors for PCIe power.
I would say you would be best to plug all the power possible to use this as a mining rig.

Oct 20, 2020
Ok, thanks! If I may also ask you rather than starting a new thread, this is my riser: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073TQ1D69

As you can see it has a 6PIN connector but the seller supplies a SATA to 6pin cable for powering it.

I've read that SATA cables are not rated for more than 54W so I would like to avoid them.

Is it fine if I use a PCIE 6pin power cable from my psu to the riser, rather than the SATA or that won't work?

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, thanks! If I may also ask you rather than starting a new thread, this is my riser: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073TQ1D69

As you can see it has a 6PIN connector but the seller supplies a SATA to 6pin cable for powering it.

I've read that SATA cables are not rated for more than 54W so I would like to avoid them.

Is it fine if I use a PCIE 6pin power cable from my psu to the riser, rather than the SATA or that won't work?
You would want to use a true PCIe 6 pin plug from the power supply. ANY power adapter is just asking for trouble.
This is not really what I thought you were talking about when you said "riser" .
I have never bothered to mine, so I may not be the best person to comment. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

TRENDING THREADS