Question Motherboard pins broken?

Kalikanto

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
So I built a PC with some of my old components (Motherboard, CPU, GPU,PSU) and some new one I bought. The problem is that thComputer e CPU Cooler (Xilence I250PWM) came with an uncommon mounting system that used screws with springs. I just thought on fully screwing them, but the screws where very long and when I was around the half of the screw-length I felt it was too much pressure. I saw then the thermal paste coming from the sides of the CPU. I also mounted the back plate (under the MB) of the cooler the wrong way, so it was bending a bit.

Then I unscrewd everything, cleaned a bit the thermal paste and did it again, but right, just screwing a little bit, 2 or 2.5 turns so that nothing moved.
When I finished building and started, I started smelling something burned that came from the CPU zone, and the red CPU light on the motherboard was lit (CPU not detected or failed). The fans started neverthless, but there was no screen signal coming, so probably it was just the fans.

So I opened everything and saw nothing out of normal, cleaned the bottom of the cpu with a microfiber and checked the pins, but I really didn't see nothing special. One half was bent one way and the other half was bent the other side, but all very evenly so it looked right.

Either the Motherboard or the CPU broke.
Maybe I bent the pins a bit so that the CPU doesn't get recognized by MB or I broke the CPU by pushing screws too hard. But why smelled it burned?
Is it even possible for those things to happen? If not, what else could be?

I need help before I mess up anything else, thank you.

Motherboard: MSI H170M Pro-vdh
CPU: Intel i5-6600
PSU: Thermaltake 500W

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Burning smell usually means something has popped.

Check to see if the CPU is actually still flat, that little substrate can bend and crack without being too noticeable. An internal short there means a dead CPU.

A too tight cooler could easily bend a motherboard enough to break traces and cause an internal short. Dead motherboard and/or CPU.

Best to start with new components at this point.

Consider an i3-12100 and a cheap motherboard that is basically like an i7-7700.

Kalikanto

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
Burning smell usually means something has popped.

Check to see if the CPU is actually still flat, that little substrate can bend and crack without being too noticeable. An internal short there means a dead CPU.

A too tight cooler could easily bend a motherboard enough to break traces and cause an internal short. Dead motherboard and/or CPU.

Best to start with new components at this point.

Consider an i3-12100 and a cheap motherboard that is basically like an i7-7700.
Ok thanks, I will check with other components if only one of them is broken or the two.

I would have to get a mATX motherboard because an ATX doesnt fit in my case. I saw AMD MBs are cheaper and I think AMD CPUs as well. Do you have any recommendations, I have a GTX 1050 Ti and I will use the PC mostly for Office programs or CAD and maybe some casual gaming. So something equivalent to the i5 or a bit less should be sufficient.

Thank you for replying

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
R5-5500 are generally pretty inexpensive, it is limited to PCIe 3.0 though. Won't matter with the 1050Ti, but new lower end cards only come with an 8x PCIe 4.0 connection, which means you end up running at an effective PCIe 4x 4.0 which is sometimes not enough to feed the cards. See RX7600 or RTX4060 and the like.

R5-5600 doesn't have this problem, but costs about 20% more. But AM4 is end of life, so 5700X or 5700X3D are better long term options.

Intel 12th gen as mentioned is decent. i5-12400 is a little more expensive still, but matches the 6 cores of the Ryzen. Spending a little now on the motherboard means being able to drop in something like a 14700k in the future. You would want to stick to DDR4 motherboards, unless you want to spend additional funds on DDR5. Then AM5 is an option, but the newest AMD CPUs and Motherboards still command high prices.