[SOLVED] Motherboard powered, I/O only works for a second

Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
I’m having an issue with a build I’m completing. My friend went to microcenter last night and got everything, so they’re brand new. These are the specs:

CPU: ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: asus tuf rtx 3080
MoBo: asus tuf gaming x570 plus
Ram: 2x8 Gb Gskill TridentZ 3600
Psu: Seasonic GX-750

The problem is that when we power the computer on, the motherboard, gpu, fans, and ram all get their power (we can see their rgb), but no I/O works. The mouse powers it’s rgb and then almost immediately turns it off. The sensor doesn’t pick anything up either, and the mouse works on other computers. The keyboard and monitor do not change throughout the boot process.

We’ve tried checking the ram by using different ram and using one stick of ram but even the old ram resulted in the same thing with the mouse. I’ve tried all the other ports as well but nothing.

Edit: It’s probably also relevant that the power button on the front panel only turns on the pc, but doesn’t turn it off for some reason. I’ve held it down but it doesn’t turn it off, and I’ve tried clicking it as well.

Last edited:
Solution
Transplanting windows has 1 of the possible outcomes.
  1. Wont boot
  2. Boots but the system is plagued with problems like low performance, errors/bsods and general instability(most common issue with Win 7 and newer).
  3. It boots and works fine(rarest out come and usually only occurs when switching to a similar platform).

Best option is a clean install on the new platform, reinstalling programs and restoring everything else from backup.

Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
What do the Q-leds do when you turn it on? Info on them is on page 1-8 of the motherboards user manual.
Okay turns out I didn’t power the CPU, I didn’t connect the eight pin. That’s my fault that was pretty stupid. Another error we’re having though is with the boot process. When the hard drive and ssd are both plugged in, the pc cannot detect any bootable devices. When we have just the ssd plugged in (which is what has windows) it detects it but it doesn’t boot.

Both configurations result in the error:
CPU fan error! F1 to run setup.

Also the aio pump is plugged into Cpu_Opt not Aio_pump. Is that okay?

bignastyid

Titan
When we have just the ssd plugged in (which is what has windows) it detects it but it doesn’t boot.
Are you trying to transplant a windows install from a different system?

CPU fan error! F1 to run setup.
Is anything plugged into the cpu fan port? Even just plugging a case fan into it will get rid of that error, or you can usually disable the warning in the bios. The pump header usually just constantly runs at 100% so the pump never slows down.

Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
So we don’t have anything plugged into the cpu fan port, I’ll try to disable the error from bios. Also, yes, we’re trying to transplant another windows system through the ssd.

bignastyid

Titan
  1. Wont boot
  2. Boots but the system is plagued with problems like low performance, errors/bsods and general instability(most common issue with Win 7 and newer).
  3. It boots and works fine(rarest out come and usually only occurs when switching to a similar platform).

Best option is a clean install on the new platform, reinstalling programs and restoring everything else from backup.

Solution

Ryan237

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
  1. Wont boot
It worked! It booted and we’re running diagnostics right now. I just plugged in the data and power cables again.