jeff_lee4

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hey i kinda have an interesting situation. About 4-5 days ago my power supply smoked and died. After replacing it, i ran into errors when booting up. I have a ASUS A8N-Deluxe motherboard and it reads everything SOME of the time....like 1 in 6. When it does acknowledge the HD's, it boots just fine, but when it doesn't...it just hangs there and freezes. Too funny, in a feat of brilliance i decided to put windows in hibernate state to see what would happen. It froze, so i turned off etc....and i booted up and it went through..and came back from hibernate state...which told me it wasn't my HD. Ultimately, is my mobo messed up?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It won't mess anything up as long as you follow the mobo mfg directions. Basically, clearing the CMOS just clears the BIOS memory. For most mobo there are 3 pins and two are covered with a little piece of plastic. To clear the CMOS you usually just usually unplug the computer and move the piece of plastic one pin over for about 30 seconds or a minute, put it back the way it was originally and start the computer. Your mobo manual or mfg's website will tell you how to do it. Resetting the BIOS is to go into the BIOS, hit the delete key several times as soon as the computer starts booting. Usually on the Exit tab one of the options is to reset the BIOS to Default or Safe settings, different mfg have various terms. Again, check your manual

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I did both....but nothing changed...except i had to reset the time :p.

If all you had to do was reset the time, things went well. :) The other 2 things I'd suggest is to upgrade the BIOS, go to the mobo mfg's website and follow the directions to the letter. although given you can get into the BIOS and reset it, I don't think that is the problem. More likely it's a hard drive or Windows problem. I'd get the install/repair program from your hdd mfg site and format the hdd using this software, usually best to do it from a Floppy and then do a clean install of Windows. Be sure to back up anything you want up because formatting will wipe everything out. Even if you have the drive partitioned, I'd format the entire drive and re-partition it.