Naouk35440

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a RM 550x PSU for my new rig:

-asus h170m plus
-intel core I5 6500
-onboard video

I have a PSU issue: the system did not boot with the PSU. The fans spin for a sec, and then stopped, like if it was in security. So I tried with another power supply and it worked great. So I tried the PSU on another rig and same symptoms. Finally I tried the paperclip test and everything is working. So I suppose the PSU did not communicate with the motherboards.

Do you know if there is PSU/motherboard incompatibility ?

Do you have any idea what I did wrong ?

Regards,

Clément

Solution
dont test it any more you got a doa unit if it wont power a working rig then one of the rails or parts in the unit is bad. you may be damaging your parts if the unit output to much voltage on any of the rails. as it new return it for xchange with the seller.
Doubtful that there is a motherboard and PSU incompatibility.

The paperclip test is not definitive, there could still be other issues with the PSU.

First, check the ferrules within the connectors from the PSU that plug into the motherboard and other components. Make sure the ferrules are not damaged, bent, or even missing. Check this very carefully. If ferrule(s) appear squashed or small in diameter, try to open them out (carefully) using an awl or similar pointed round object.

If all appears OK, then reinstall the Corsair RM550X PSU again, and make certain that all cables are connected properly.

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Check which 12v CPU connector you're using. There are a few PSUs I've used that specifically only allow a specific side of an 8-pin ATX connector when connecting to a 4-pin header. I find it extremely rare and odd that any vendor would do this, but give it a try.

12_V_ATX.png

dont test it any more you got a doa unit if it wont power a working rig then one of the rails or parts in the unit is bad. you may be damaging your parts if the unit output to much voltage on any of the rails. as it new return it for xchange with the seller.

Solution
As Doramius said.

Looking at the picture post, and the the Asus h170m plus board also.

You need to make sure that if the PSU is modular or semi modular that the eight pin Eatx / Eps from the RM 550x is connected to the eight pin connector on the motherboard.

If you put the RM 550 in the case then fitted the modular cables there is a chance you may be using the wrong four pin connector connected to the Eatx / Eps eight pin connector of the motherboard.

Bellow is a link to the connectors blocks on the back of the RX 550.
To the far top right line there is a block of eight pins wide.
Find the four plus four cable and make sure it is connected to that point. if its connected on the left set of eight pins it is why the motherboard does not power up.

Voltage wiring for Pcie 6+2 pin differs from Eps.

Then to the eight pin 12v Eatx or Eps connector of the motherboard.

Look at the picture link bellow by clicking on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-Pin-Sata-Male-to-2-Sata-Female-Power-Splitter-Y-Cable-20cm-/310856850299?hash=item4860831b7b:g:FFAAAMXQL99Sa-z9

lamus997

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I had same issue in my pc with old PSU.
Was working fine from time when I buy my rig for around 3months and one time PC just switched off itself. When was pressing power button only fans was working for time when power button was pressed.
In those situations I was thinking that I have not been cleaning my PC inside for while and maybe that helps coz there was loads of dust, I was than disconnecting all components and cleaning nicely. Later Apparently PC was working but after a month had same issue.... I describe that my PC after problems like that after some time(15min to few hours) was working so was not worry. Year ago when was upgrading GPU was need new PSU due to more power-hungry card and buy new PSU. Since than never had this problem.

My little story just says that there must be a problem with PSU. I also would like to add that also had before CORSAIR PSU.

Get this one replaced.