[SOLVED] Motherboard replacement

Feb 1, 2020
I have a full tower with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. (AMD) It keeps rebooting without loading the bios. I’m guessing the motherboard or CPU failed after 5 years.
What motherboard and cpu would fit the same footprint and be a good choice? I use it for video and music editing mostly.

Solution
Whoa. Hold your horses! Not loading the BIOS is not automatically a can't-fix-it problem. Much cheaper to replace the RAM, which it could also be, instead of the whole system.

Did you (try to) overclock anything? Have you tried clearing CMOS? (unplug power cord, take out coin battery for a minute, press power on button WHILE PC IS OFF a few times, then replace battery and power cord and try starting)

If you have a motherboard speaker like this to plug in, the beeps from it (or lack of) when trying to start the pc can help diagnose the problem and might not need you to upgrade to fix
8d2064aaa80504b2674052686523f157d1eed2bd_large.jpg

Ofcourse, if you are looking for an upgrade anyway, don't let me hold...

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Whoa. Hold your horses! Not loading the BIOS is not automatically a can't-fix-it problem. Much cheaper to replace the RAM, which it could also be, instead of the whole system.

Did you (try to) overclock anything? Have you tried clearing CMOS? (unplug power cord, take out coin battery for a minute, press power on button WHILE PC IS OFF a few times, then replace battery and power cord and try starting)

If you have a motherboard speaker like this to plug in, the beeps from it (or lack of) when trying to start the pc can help diagnose the problem and might not need you to upgrade to fix
8d2064aaa80504b2674052686523f157d1eed2bd_large.jpg

Ofcourse, if you are looking for an upgrade anyway, don't let me hold you back ;)

Solution
Feb 1, 2020
Thank you for the thorough reply.

I unplugged and blew out the board with compressed air. It was not terribly dusty because I did so before when adding a component. it booted up after this.

It is an Intel duo core 2.85 GHz.
I still may upgrade the motherboard and cpu. I’m thinking of a GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE and Intel Core i9-9900KF.
A friend said a new PC might be a better option. Any opinion?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I'd say the choice to upgrade depends on your budget, but if you got that mobo and cpu combo in mind i don't think that's too much of an issue. I can't think of a more fully featured board than that, so if that's what you want/need then go for it. Thunderbolt USB, double m2's, what's not to like :)

The only thing better than that setup would likely be a proper workstation pc

Feb 3, 2020
I am looking to upgrade from my stock motherboard my computer is a hp Compaq 6300 sff and I am wanting to change out the motherboards so it will be able to handle my graphics card and all that stuff better can someone please let me know which motherboards will fit my computer!!!

Feb 7, 2020
Thank you for the thorough reply.

I unplugged and blew out the board with compressed air. It was not terribly dusty because I did so before when adding a component. it booted up after this.

It is an Intel duo core 2.85 GHz.
I still may upgrade the motherboard and cpu. I’m thinking of a GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE and Intel Core i9-9900KF.
A friend said a new PC might be a better option. Any opinion?
That would certainly be an excellent foundation for upgrading in the future.