Question Motherboard Short Circuit (possibly).

nightmason777

Commendable
May 19, 2018
Okay, so I JUST bought all new components (don't trust refurbished). Built the PC, and motherboard caught fire on a fuse near the middle right screw hole, just above the chipset heatsink. Is it safe to assume that every component is now dead?

Cause I did try powering it back on after I triple checked everything was plugged in all the way (which it was, cause I double checked everything before turning it on). Everything turns on, just nothing on the monitor, and no RGB on the motherboard. The rgb on the graphics card works (MSI 5700xt gaming x), the fans spin even the cpu fan runs. So is there any way to test the components other than putting them in another system?

I would lean on it probably being at least damaged to the point that I wouldn't want to use it.

being it's brand new....why wouldn't you just RMA it?
I think your other components are probably OK.
When a motherboard smokes...many times in my experience....the add-on components are OK. Not always....but more often than not in my experience.

nightmason777

Commendable
May 19, 2018
I did RMA it since it's brand new. I was just seeing if it could possibly be my power supply. However, I feel like it's not... Because everything else turns one. Just not the board.

nightmason777

Commendable
May 19, 2018

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay, so after getting home and doing testing.. I found out my graphics card wasn't plugged in all the way... Is there something on the motherboard that controls graphics? Or gives the signal to the card to run graphics to the monitor or?

Well, yeah, or it wouldn't know when to use the integrated.

I think this is the point where you list all your specs. I certainly have no intention of diagnosing the chances of a bad PSU without knowing the specs of the system or even what the PSU is. And I'm not going to be the only one with that policy.

Reactions: nightmason777

nightmason777

Commendable
May 19, 2018
Amd Ryzen 3600x with stock cooler. 16gb of corsair vengeance 3200mhz, MSI Gaming X 5700xt graphics card, corsair rm 750x 80 plus gold power supply, and gigabyte x570 aorus elite wifi motherboard.

Last edited:

nightmason777

Commendable
May 19, 2018
Well, yeah, or it wouldn't know when to use the integrated.

I think this is the point where you list all your specs. I certainly have no intention of diagnosing the chances of a bad PSU without knowing the specs of the system or even what the PSU is. And I'm not going to be the only one with that policy.
So I was able to finally test gpu, ram and Powersupply. Happy to announce they are in working order, so more than likely my CPU is fine as well. Just gotta make sure once the replacement gets here to fully push the brick of a gpu to slot in fully.