Question Motherboard short circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishi _S

Commendable
Dec 28, 2021
So I built my PC a couple of weeks ago. I had been using it fine for 4-5 days. One day, I switched my PC off after some work, but the next day it wouldn't turn on. I tried everything, like removing the cables and connecting them back, and slapping my PC. But it just wouldn't turn on. So I took it to the shop where I bought the parts, and he took a look at it and told me that my motherboard short circuited due to a loose screw or some metal. In other words, he effectively blamed the mistake on me because i built the PC. Now I dont recall of any loose screws, and how would a motherboard short circuit without power? As I said before, I switched off my PC after another normal day and the next day, it wouldnt turn on. That means it must have short circuited sometime between those 2 periods, which is impossible because I never tampered with it then. So my question is, did my motherboard actually get short circuited because of some metal or did I receive a defective motherboard while building my PC? Motherboard- MSI H410 PRO VH. (Btw, they replaced my motherboard so thats a relief.)

Reactions: Armedandloaded
Jan 1, 2022
I am having the same issue. I shut down my pc after new years eve. Everything was perfectly working fine like it was for 2 years. When I woke up, it's no longer turning on. Checked and I've un plugged the power cables, still nothing. Motherboard lights are lit which indicates that it is getting power from the PSU. Pressing the power button from the case does nothing. I've unseated both 24pin and 8 pins, shorted the mobo power pins, no reaction at all.

I've checked on other forums, this seems like a trending issue. Was there a recent cosmic event that might have caused this to happen?

Rishi _S

Commendable
Dec 28, 2021
I am having the same issue. I shut down my pc after new years eve. Everything was perfectly working fine like it was for 2 years. When I woke up, it's no longer turning on. Checked and I've un plugged the power cables, still nothing. Motherboard lights are lit which indicates that it is getting power from the PSU. Pressing the power button from the case does nothing. I've unseated both 24pin and 8 pins, shorted the mobo power pins, no reaction at all.

I've checked on other forums, this seems like a trending issue. Was there a recent cosmic event that might have caused this to happen?
Well the shop guy said that the reason it could have happened is if one of the screws holding the motherboard unloosened and came in contact with the motherboard pins. Try checking if thats the problem in your PC. And if it comes to the worst, Im afraid that you might have to claim warranty on your motherboard and get it replaced, which might be a lengthy process.

Status
Not open for further replies.