Motherboard Size Case

kingkobe21

Commendable
Dec 19, 2017
Wanted to know if my motherboard can fit in a new case like the Cooler Master MB600L

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire X5900
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3, 12/16/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.24214"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.78 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.73 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.47 GB
Page File Space 3.87 GB

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
What size is your MB ? You must buy a case that will fit it. Motherboards that you buy separately from a store are a standard size. Motherboards that are supplied by a vendor as part of a system are occasionally a custom size, but will usually fit a standard case, too. Use tape measure to get the dimensions, and look up the "Motherboard form factor"on the internet to find the name given to that size - It will probably be one of the following sizes (From big to small) : EATX, ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-Itx. Then you can buy a case that fits that size of motherboard.

kingkobe21

Commendable
Dec 19, 2017

So it looks exactly like the one in the picture. Is there really nothing I can do? Just get new motherboard,processor,ram?
Was honestly just planning on buying a gpu a new case and a psu so I could upgrade it further on but seems its not possible...

kingkobe21

Commendable
Dec 19, 2017

Seeing what cin19 has said should I still proceed with this?

Do you want to upgrade your PC for games or something like daily usage?
Because for the OEM PC, usually you can upgrade the cpu, add more RAM, change the HDD to SSD, if the MB can fit into other case, and you can. For add the GPU, you are better to buy other PSU too, because the OEM PC usually came with 300-350W, some of them has lower, even less than 300W, some of them has more then 400W.

For you PC, it has the i5 650, and it is not good enough for most new or upcoming games, if you want to use the PC for games, you should buy the whole new PC, if you have budget. If you just use the PC for daily usage, just use it until it is going to die.

One more thing, some of newer gen GPU may or may not have the compatibility problem with the old OEM MB.

kingkobe21

Commendable
Dec 19, 2017
I just want to do some gaming not heavy at all. Just wanted to know if I can move the motherboard to a new case? I will upgrade it by time but for now just gpu case and psu. Just gtx 970 for gpu

In theory, the gtx970 should work with your motherboard, because as long as the MB has pciex16 slot. But 1) because the MB is the OEM, if Acer does not provide the BIOS update, you may have problem, the MB will need the BIOS to recognize the newer hardware. 2) Because you can't move the MB into other case, I don't know the gtx970 will fit into the Acer case or not. 3) You are better to borrow one newer gen GPU to try out, then you will know you can use it or not, before you buy the gtx970. 4) You will need a good brand 500W PSU for the gtx970.

Here is how to buy a good PSU. https://www.tomshardware.com/t/power-supplies/