Question Motherboard suddenly decided that it can't run memories at 3600mhz

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I have a Ryzen 3600 and I had been using my memories at 3600mhz since 2019.

Suddenly this weekend the system decided at all 4 sticks of ram cannot run at 3600mhz. System cannot boot up to BIOS and automatically reset to 2166mhz.
I tested different combinaions of 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks, and 4 sticks with the same result. I slowly increase the frequency until I found a bootable frequency of 3166mhz.
I always used the XMP profile so the setting should be correct. After success boot at 3166 I ran memtest and it passed without issue.
Since it was working for years this feels like something is failing. What can be failing in my system? Thank

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
The discussion in that link helped. I switched to test using memtest86+ and have 2 failed sticks. Somehow my mobo needs to use A2 B2 first to set and boot at 3600mhz. Will try 3600 again on all 4 slots when I get RMA on the two sticks. Thanks

To run at the 3600 speed, All ram sticks must be part of the same matched kit.
You may not be able to rma just two sticks if they were part of a 4 stick kit in the first place.

And, if you did not have matching ram in the first place, that could be part of your problem.

You may be able to fix your issue by increasing the ram voltage above what a xmp profile specifies.

The discussion in that link helped. I switched to test using memtest86+ and have 2 failed sticks. Somehow my mobo needs to use A2 B2 first to set and boot at 3600mhz. Will try 3600 again on all 4 slots when I get RMA on the two sticks. Thanks
Thought you already did the memtest, you did mention something on those lines in your initial post.
Anyways, as mentioned above try to make it from the same kit, that should help further narrow down if its memory module related.

Last edited:

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Thought you already did the memtest, you did mention something on those lines in your initial post.
Anyways, as mentioned above try to make it from the same kit, that should help further narrow down if its memory related.

I did omit some details and trouble shooting steps to try keep the post simple. Reading my post again, I see that I probably made it worse. I will try to be more accurate and detail next time. Thank you

Reactions: Hellfire13

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
To run at the 3600 speed, All ram sticks must be part of the same matched kit.
You may not be able to rma just two sticks if they were part of a 4 stick kit in the first place.

And, if you did not have matching ram in the first place, that could be part of your problem.

You may be able to fix your issue by increasing the ram voltage above what a xmp profile specifies.
They are 4 matching sticks and been running for years. G.Skill actually want me to RMA individual sticks so it should work out. Beside the bad sticks, it looks like my mobo required A2 B2 installed first instead of A1 B1 to set 3600 mhz. It doesn't make sense to me but oh well. Let's see what happen once I get my replacement sticks and put them in the A1 B1 slot.

They are 4 matching sticks and been running for years. G.Skill actually want me to RMA individual sticks so it should work out. Beside the bad sticks, it looks like my mobo required A2 B2 installed first instead of A1 B1 to set 3600 mhz. It doesn't make sense to me but oh well. Let's see what happen once I get my replacement sticks and put them in the A1 B1 slot.
I am surprised that they would RMA only one pair of a 4 stick kit.
That is good news in that you can keep running until the replacement arrives.
Are you certain that G.skil understands your situation exactly?
I would suggest that they send you a single matched replacement kit.
They would put your credit card on hold and not charge you when they received your old ram.

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I am surprised that they would RMA only one pair of a 4 stick kit.
That is good news in that you can keep running until the replacement arrives.
Are you certain that G.skil understands your situation exactly?
I would suggest that they send you a single matched replacement kit.
They would put your credit card on hold and not charge you when they received your old ram.

I didn't get to talk to anyone, I just fill out a form on their website and got instruction in the email to ship the bad stick to them. Let see what they will ship back to me. Worse case I will just have buy a new kit.