Question Motherboard switch

dpmcshane124

Reputable
Nov 26, 2017
Hi I'm switching motherboards from a ASUS B550 AM4 Ryzen to an MSI B550 AM4 Ryzen

I have a 3700x
6700xt
And 32gigs of ram

Any ways when I do the switch do I have to reinstall Windows? Or can I use the product key I got when I first built my computer? Also will all the apps I have still be saved on my SSDs and M.2? Or will I have to reinstall them?

dpmcshane124

Reputable
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, I'd be asking the same question as @SkyNetRising , some missing info. Possibly a waste of money.

Ideally with a mobo swap you really should just reinstall Windows again! Keeping the same OS with a new mobo will lead to one of two things happeining.

1. It runs, but with issues.
  2. It doesn't run at all.
Just doing a fresh install will ensure all drivers are working as intended, and any previous drivers will be completely wiped and not cause potential hardware conflicts etc.

Also, which exact mobo's are we tlaking about. Asus B550/MSI B5550 could mean one of about 40 boards!

dpmcshane124

Reputable
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, I'd be asking the same question as @SkyNetRising , some missing info. Possibly a waste of money.

Ideally with a mobo swap you really should just reinstall Windows again! Keeping the same OS with a new mobo will lead to one of two things happeining.

1. It runs, but with issues.
  2. It doesn't run at all.
Just doing a fresh install will ensure all drivers are working as intended, and any previous drivers will be completely wiped and not cause potential hardware conflicts etc.

Also, which exact mobo's are we tlaking about. Asus B550/MSI B5550 could mean one of about 40 boards!
I was just asking a question. But it's a asus tuf b550 plus to a msi b550 plus.

As for why I want to not happy with asus

dpmcshane124

Reputable
Nov 26, 2017
Since you're not willing to describe issues, you're experiencing,
it's quite possible that board has nothing to do with them.

You replace the board and issues will remain.
Dude I'm just asking about what I have do to with the install of Windows 10 and drivers. I have not done a swap like this before and I wanted to know how to do it.

Would have to to reinstall all my apps on my SSD M.2 etc.

Dude I'm just asking about what I have do to with the install of Windows 10 and drivers. I have not done a swap like this before and I wanted to know how to do it.
Would have to to reinstall all my apps on my SSD M.2 etc.
All of that has been answered already in post #4.

Since you're replacing with same chipset board, differences are minimal.
It's quite possible, windows reinstall will not be required.

Hi I'm switching motherboards from a ASUS B550 AM4 Ryzen to an MSI B550 AM4 Ryzen

I have a 3700x
6700xt
And 32gigs of ram

Any ways when I do the switch do I have to reinstall Windows? Or can I use the product key I got when I first built my computer? Also will all the apps I have still be saved on my SSDs and M.2? Or will I have to reinstall them?
I've done it without issue on multiple builds, your more likely to encounter issues going from something much older or Intel to AMD ect..

USAFRet

Titan
There is no "100%" yes or no.

Changing a motherboard, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've personally seen all 3.

Since you are staying with the same chipset (why?), it will 'probably' work.
There is no harm in trying it. BUT...do be prepared for total fail, resulting in a full reinstall.

As for the OS license,...where did it come from originally?
This impacts transferability.

dpmcshane124

Reputable
Nov 26, 2017
There is no "100%" yes or no.

Changing a motherboard, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

Since you are staying with the same chipset (why?), it will 'probably' work.
There is no harm in trying it. BUT...do be prepared for total fail, resulting in a full reinstall.

As for the OS license,...where did it come from originally?
This impacts transferability.
I got it from a Microcenter so it did not come with the computer. Would it still be best to just do a reinstall? And if I do a reinstall would I have to download all my applications amd games again?

USAFRet

Titan
I got it from a Microcenter so it did not come with the computer. Would it still be best to just do a reinstall? And if I do a reinstall would I have to download all my applications amd games again?
A full OS reinstall IS the best way forward.

Yes, you'll need to reinstall all your applications and drivers.
Games, like Steam, can be saved elsewhere and then the NEW Steam client can be directed to where they are.