[SOLVED] Motherboard throttling CPU boost clock speed?

Furzumz

Reputable
Hello, I'm using a 3900x on a b350 board (MSI B350M PRO-VDH)

I wanted to pick up a better motherboard but I was curious if doing so would help with my boost clock speeds as someone told me a B350 on a processor like this could potentially throttle speeds

Currently it doesn't go past 4.18 GHz regardless of what the processor is doing

Or is there something else afoot?

Solution

I wanted to pick up a better motherboard but I was curious if doing so would help with my boost clock speeds as someone told me a B350 on a processor like this could potentially throttle speeds

Definitely get a better board, better boards define how well you can get overclocks, especially because B350 isn't meant for high powered chips such as a 3900x. The overclock is handled by the VRM, and given that it's a very outdated board, the VRM isn't going to come CLOSE to the possible performance that you could get out of a 3900x. My suggestion is to buy a...

Furzumz

Reputable
Is that all core boost or single core?
It won't achieve 4.6 on all cores, only single core boost.

Not sure what it is, I was looking in windows task manager

Is there a way to check?

Also saw it go up to 4.23 ghz for a bit so it looks like it can go a little higher

To clarify I'm not looking to manually overclock, I was asking about the 'turbo boost' feature that seems enabled by default

kanewolf

Titan
Not sure what it is, I was looking in windows task manager

Is there a way to check?

Also saw it go up to 4.23 ghz for a bit so it looks like it can go a little higher

To clarify I'm not looking to manually overclock, I was asking about the 'turbo boost' feature that seems enabled by default
Start by using RyzenMaster to monitor your CPU. You will get much better info.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

Definitely get a better board, better boards define how well you can get overclocks, especially because B350 isn't meant for high powered chips such as a 3900x. The overclock is handled by the VRM, and given that it's a very outdated board, the VRM isn't going to come CLOSE to the possible performance that you could get out of a 3900x. My suggestion is to buy a nice b450 board, or if you have the extra spend, get an x570 board.

Reactions: Furzumz
Solution