Question Motherboard / TPM Issue

Dec 8, 2022
A question for experts.
How do I enable TPM 1.2 on my Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev 2.0 MBO. I have updated the BIOS to the latest as supplied by Gigabyte to UA10. Gigabyte does not know how to enable this even though there is a header on the MBO. I have tried TPM 1.2 and 2.0. Tried to access "Advanced" tab via F2 whilst on BIOS screen but it makes no difference so I cannot access the "Advanced" screen if there is one.
I am not trying to run Windows 11 but am intrigued by the presence of a TPM 1.2 header for an older MBO but cannot use the provided security attachment as no one seems to know how to enable it! As a PC tinkerer, it is a real challenge.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have tried TPM 1.2 and 2.0.
Your motherboard has a header, do you have the module that needs to be plugged into said header on the motherboard?

I am not trying to run Windows 11 but am intrigued by the presence of a TPM 1.2 header for an older MBO but cannot use the provided security attachment as no one seems to know how to enable it!
Why do you even need to enable it? What purpose would enabling it serve you/your computing?

In 2022, With the advent of a higher standard in TPM, your version will be obsolete and any security vulnerabilities will come to surface. Your motherboard is about a decade old, meaning what was secure back then is not going to be the same now.

am intrigued by the presence of a TPM 1.2 header for an older MBO
There's a saying, curiosity killed the cat.
My 2 cents.

Dec 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have tried TPM 1.2 and 2.0.
Your motherboard has a header, do you have the module that needs to be plugged into said header on the motherboard?

I am not trying to run Windows 11 but am intrigued by the presence of a TPM 1.2 header for an older MBO but cannot use the provided security attachment as no one seems to know how to enable it!
Why do you even need to enable it? What purpose would enabling it serve you/your computing?

In 2022, With the advent of a higher standard in TPM, your version will be obsolete and any security vulnerabilities will come to surface. Your motherboard is about a decade old, meaning what was secure back then is not going to be the same now.

am intrigued by the presence of a TPM 1.2 header for an older MBO
There's a saying, curiosity killed the cat.
My 2 cents.
Yes I have. It is Gigabyte compliant module TPM 1.2.
Purpose of enabling was to improve security on Windows 10.
I do get your point on the security issues you have mentioned, and the point well taken. Thanks, appreciated.
Finally, yes curiosity did kill the cat but, we are human. For humans curiosity means knowledge gained. See the number of technological advances due to curiosity of scientists.
Surely, I can't be the only one who tried to enable TPM in a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3!! Then again maybe .......

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A question for experts.
How do I enable TPM 1.2 on my Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev 2.0 MBO. I have updated the BIOS to the latest as supplied by Gigabyte to UA10. Gigabyte does not know how to enable this even though there is a header on the MBO. I have tried TPM 1.2 and 2.0. Tried to access "Advanced" tab via F2 whilst on BIOS screen but it makes no difference so I cannot access the "Advanced" screen if there is one.
I am not trying to run Windows 11 but am intrigued by the presence of a TPM 1.2 header for an older MBO but cannot use the provided security attachment as no one seems to know how to enable it! As a PC tinkerer, it is a real challenge.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance. Cheers.
What version of BIOS do you have installed? I don't see that version listed on the site:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68AP-D3-rev-20/support#support-dl-bios

Dec 8, 2022
Given the history of the version, it is hard to even guess what features are enabled/disabled. Is there anything regarding secure anything in the various BIOS sections?
No, I cannot find anything about secure anything unless I go to Windows 8 other than Other OS. But even there I could not find a way to enable TPM.

20220504-133457.jpg

acording this image, tpm configuration should be in peripherals\thrusted computing settings

In peripherals I get no extra step. No other stage. Sorry I don't know how to attach a photo. Tried insert image but didn't work.' Thanks for trying to help me so far. Much appreciated.
if its not there, than your TPM module is not working, some bios settings are hidden if theres no hardware connected

can you share where you bought your TPM module from? if seller page still exists?

Dec 8, 2022
if its not there, than your TPM module is not working, some bios settings are hidden if theres no hardware connected

can you share where you bought your TPM module from? if seller page still exists?
There is a green light on the TPM module which to me signify that the module has power to it. So the board has powered the unit. I bought it on eBay after checking with compatibility as advised earlier. The module is ...TPM 1.2 Security Module Board TPM1.2 LPC 20 Pin Motherboards Card for ASUS MSI ASROCK GIGABYTE