[SOLVED] Motherboard upgrade asio.sys error BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2020
Hi all, new here so please be patient with me.

I've just bought myself a new MB & processor to upgrade my machine, it is an Asus Prime A320M-K with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
my current setup is a Asus A68HM-Plus with AMD A6 6400
I was hoping this would be a simple upgrade as both MBs are asus (i had previously upgraded from an ECS GeForce 6100 PM-M2 to this Asus A68 and all i did was plug everything in, and it worked) but with this new MB/CPU after booting up and logging into windows, after a few mins i'm getting a blue screen with a asio.sys error

I know the best way to resolve this is to start afresh with reinstalling windows, but, i have hundreds of GB of music, videos, photos as well as steam saved games on this HDD which i really really don't want to lose (C drive has 275GB free of 930GB) the largest thing i have to make any kind of backup is a 500GB sata HDD (probably scavenged from a sky box) so i don't think i have the capacity to back up everything.

Is there an easy way? I've just made a W10 bootable dvd (from the media creation tool) with the current version of W10, should i just run this at boot up and do it all from there?

Solution

I've just bought myself a new MB & processor to upgrade my machine, it is an Asus Prime A320M-K with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
I was hoping this would be a simple upgrade as both MBs are asus (i had previously upgraded from an ECS GeForce 6100 PM-M2 to this Asus A68 and all i did was plug everything in, and it worked) but with this new MB/CPU after booting up and logging into windows, after a few mins i'm getting a blue screen with a asio.sys error

I know the best way to resolve this is to start afresh with reinstalling windows, but, i have hundreds of GB of music, videos, photos as well as steam saved games on this HDD which i really...
Mar 31, 2020
Install windows on the 500gig drive.
Just make sure you unplug your C drive that you have now until it has finished.
Plug in old C drive to use as a data drive.
I had thought about doing exactly that, and I have done something very similar in the past, but, I'm led to believe that these sky box HDDs aren't that great, and, my plan is to utilise the A68 MB and the 'spare' 500gb HDD in my other machine that runs on my TV (just a basic machine that just runs windows and has some films and stuff on it) (this one currently has the old geforce mb & cpu and 2x IDE HDDs which are 80 and 250gb - the A68 MB doesn't have IDE, so I need to use a sata drive(s) on that)

Apr 11, 2020

I know the best way to resolve this is to start afresh with reinstalling windows, but, i have hundreds of GB of music, videos, photos as well as steam saved games on this HDD which i really really don't want to lose (C drive has 275GB free of 930GB) the largest thing i have to make any kind of backup is a 500GB sata HDD (probably scavenged from a sky box) so i don't think i have the capacity to back up everything.

Is there an easy way? I've just made a W10 bootable dvd (from the media creation tool) with the current version of W10, should i just run this at boot up and do it all from there?
Have you clean installed windows yet. ? If not you need to boot up on your “old set up and motherboard with the drive that has everything installed. I went from Asus Z97-AR with I7-4790K to Asus Prime X- 570 with Ryzen 9 3900X and was able to boot with my SSD that was fully loaded with my software. I set up the new system and put my SSD in. Windows actually booted to the desktop - then the BSOD with the asio.sys error, loop after loop. I googled and googled my problem most everyone said you had to do a clean install on the SSD then reinstall all your software. Well I did NOT want to go through all that stuff. I finally found a post from 2 years ago with the solution that someone else found AND IT WORKED! You need to boot your old system on the old MB. Go into your Programs and settings. Delete everything that says ASUS, Probe 2, etc. Then delete anything “Realtek” as this is the audio drivers associated with ASUS mb and then delete your antivirus program. Finally take the disk that came with your new motherboard and install their drivers. Take the drive out. When your new set up is ready put the drive in to boot. If you are like me Windows 10 will go through it’s “found new stuff” Getty ready then reboot. When it comes back it snhould go to desktop with all your icons and software. GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU LIKE IT DID FOR ME!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.