Motherboard Upgrade for 970 GTX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

That does look like a pretty good case for the money - just tempts me to build a new pc lol

The motherboard is here, but I'm waiting for the CPU cleaner, which should hopefully arrive today.

I was wondering, should I install the graphics card from the get go? Or setup the BIOS via the onboard graphics card then install the card? My concern is that the motherboard may not be UEFI ready? But the manuals say otherwise - just being careful here

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Thanks! Delivery is running a bit late, but I think I have prepared my machine for an upgrade. I have uninstalled all drivers that the motherboard was using and have done a sysprep. But I did not install the new motherboards Chipset (but have uninstalled the current one), would it be wise to install the new motherboards Chipset and uninstall everything again (due to the sysprep)?

Thanks again!

No need mate I don't think , h67-h61 is very similar.
Install the board , goto device manager , scan for hardware changes.
I think at most you'll need to install usb3,Ethernet & audio drivers from the board install disk.

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Everything seems to have went well except for the CPU cooler. The screw slots on the boar are too big and doesnt really screw.... Even though they're both 1155 coolers.

Can this even be possible? It seems like I'll have to, yet, buy more stuff - a new cooler in this instance? I have a stock cooler - AVC

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I got annoyed and turned on, on its side to see if the motherboard actually worked fine - to my surprise it did - but the CPU cooler went berserk.....

EDIT: But it did lock in though o_O

Thinking to get this now.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Alpine-Pro-Rev-2-Anti-Vibration/dp/B003JGMVUE?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-21

Unless I could use something to keep those screws in place?

And perhaps the fans went berserk because when I was trying to screw in the CPU cooler, I think it was being displaced and I eventually removed the cooler to see how big the slots were in comparison to the screws - so will have to reapply the thermal paste again now...

EDIT2: Just realised that I would need to add a backplate for the cooler. Trying to remove it from the old one, but seems like a tough job. Worst case scenario - buying a new cooler...

EDIT3: Failed. It literally stuck on the back. Think I would buy those plastic screw thingys so the screws screw in.

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
It's similar to that but a 4 pin. Have ordered the Arctic Push Pin cooler which should be arriving this evening (thanks to a friend who has prime). Hopefully then everything will be sorted out.

One hell of an expensive upgrade lol...

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Darn it, I should've made you aware of it earlier. But for £8 I guess it's not too bad. Anything is better than what I have now lol

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I've installed the cooler and graphics card - but the fans gone berserk again. Checked the temperature via the BIOS and can see it reaching 90+ degrees.

I'm using the paste that came with the cooler; though can wipe it off apply the one I had bought.

However, the same thing happened yesterday when I applied some yesterday (although the cooler wasn't properly installed)

Could it be that I just need to wipe it off and reapply the paste again? Or is there something worst?

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

And it keeps on turning off now.

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Turns out that the thermal paste that came with the cooler was completely useless. Reapplied the thermal paste and checked temp via bios again - on 35 degrees now. Still waiting to see if I have any more crashes etc

Will keep you updated

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Completely spot on.

Windows 10 has loaded up but created a new user and has failed to activate - will call Microsoft and correct this (for the activation issue) or any ideas how to restore it the previous account? Will do some research for that.

Meanwhile, installing drivers that came with the motherboard and then the graphics card and then fixing the Windows issue...

I believe it has to be activated to run more than 1 simultaneous account - a restriction of non-activation.
once activate properly you should be able to select your original account on login.

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

I currently have a Microsoft Representative trying to re-activate my Windows account and solve the user issue too - turns out my case is longer than expected. So will take a while.

I've yet to update all the drivers, but so far, so good! Thanks again Matt!!! You've been a wonderful help!

I'll keep things updated!

javz

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

All is well now Matt, again, my thanks; you have been really helpful throughout this process!!

And Microsoft have corrected the activation issue as well.

I'm thinikng to use this tool https://camwebapp.com/ which checks the temps of the CPU and GPU. Or shall I use this http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

And was considering downloading this https://gaming.msi.com/article/msi-gaming-app-article Thought I doubt I would manually OC it. So guessing this is pointless?

all good news mate,to be fair you did the work yourself,I just gave you a little nudge when you got disheartened & felt like calling it a day.

camwebapp is decent but basic,msi afterburner paired with hwinfo can give you a lot more information when setup properly (which can be a chore)

If youre happy with performance though then cam is good enough for temp checking,afterburner is good for troubleshooting cpu/gpu actual usage when you think youre not getting optimal performance.