Motherboard Upgrades for Presarios

I want to replace the motherboard in my Presario 5BW131 with a new one that
can take a Pentium IV processor. But the Compaq board seems to be
configured in a non-standard way, and I don't know where to find a board
that will fit in the case. Any suggestions?

Get a new case and Pentium 4-capable power supply to go with the motherboard.

If the board is not a standard form factor, you won't find replacement boards to
upgrade the system. On the other hand, I did replace a burned out P4 Presario
motherboard with a standard mATX Asus, and only tiny minor surgery was
required... Ben Myers

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:22:15 GMT, "Rick Sealey" <rick_sealey@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I want to replace the motherboard in my Presario 5BW131 with a new one that
>can take a Pentium IV processor. But the Compaq board seems to be
>configured in a non-standard way, and I don't know where to find a board
>that will fit in the case. Any suggestions?

hh

The answer to your question may be found in the Compaq FAQ, reposted to
this newsgroup weekly.
HH

"Rick Sealey" <rick_sealey@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I want to replace the motherboard in my Presario 5BW131 with a new one that
>can take a Pentium IV processor. But the Compaq board seems to be
>configured in a non-standard way, and I don't know where to find a board
>that will fit in the case. Any suggestions?

HH posted on top:

> "Rick Sealey" <rick_sealey@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>I want to replace the motherboard in my Presario 5BW131 with a new one that
>>can take a Pentium IV processor. But the Compaq board seems to be
>>configured in a non-standard way, and I don't know where to find a board
>>that will fit in the case. Any suggestions?
>>

> The answer to your question may be found in the Compaq FAQ,
> reposted to this newsgroup weekly.
> HH

Which is likely but before I look it up i want to add that way back in
the beginning Compaq engineered and in some cases over engineered
everything in house, later did they go off shore and source components
from the Taiwanese and others.

These later units ran OK but my point is that the form factor in many
cases became standardized on the AT and ATX form factor.

Still, I like the original suggestion to get a new case to go along with
a new processesor/ mother board- and why not go AMD?

TBerk