[SOLVED] Motherboard VRMS overheating

dan62

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
So, recently i upgraded my friends graphics card to a 2070 so that he can play VR because his old Graphics card could not run VR. So when i installed the 2070 for him and got the VR all installed the motherboard started to overheat and would blue screen and games would crash (we used speccy to record the motherboard temperature). Does anyone know what to do because i have a fun on top of the computer pointed to the VRMS and they are doing nothing so does anyone know what to do to fix it.

Spec of computer:
Motherboard ASUS b250g motherboard
CPU intel core i5 7400
PSU Corsair TX750m
GPU Gigabyte RTX 2070
16gb of hyper x fury ram

Solution

Can't see it being the GPU (MAX draw is 185W) and Corsair TX750 is a good unit for that setup.

What temperatures under load.?
Use HWinfo64 to check temperatures at idle then...
The only thing I can recommend is to try lowering the CPU Core voltage as it is this that creates the heat from VRMs. What temps are they getting to under load.?

Lowering Core voltage may require also lowering CPU frequency to maintain stability.
What cooling system does he have.?

dan62

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Well the voltage on the bios is at 0.945 so is that low enough? The cooling system we are using is a Cooler Master hyper 212x. When i went to touch the heat sink it was not hot does that say anything? could it be a GPU problem due to the problems with other people 2070

Can't see it being the GPU (MAX draw is 185W) and Corsair TX750 is a good unit for that setup.

What temperatures under load.?
Use HWinfo64 to check temperatures at idle then under load. Also check Core VID
When you touched the heatsink, was system at idle.?

At .945V that is low at stock frequency (if stable) so maybe a problem with heatsink. Have you tried replacing TIM.?
hyper 212x is a good air cooler for that none K CPU so should not be an issue.

What case and fans in the setup and current ambient room temp.?

Only other thing I can think of is if the VRM caps are leaking or failing. (unlikely)

Solution

dan62

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Because the GPU is so new i saw lots of RTX cards failing so today i went to return it and got a new one, then installe dit into my computer and all games are working fine I dont know why speccy was saying the motherboard was hot but i think it must of been a glitch with the sensors on the motherboard because the bios would say its 30 degrees and speccy ssaying 120. Thank you very much for the help :)