Motherboard vs gpu

alexander0hamilton

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
I want to know if its better to use my money more on my motherboard or my gpu. My choices are the Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX with the zotac mini rtx 2060 or the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK / Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING with a zotac mini gtx 1070.

Here is my build without the motherboard and the gpu.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2600mhz 2x8gb
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze
Storage: Crucial mx500 500gb
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black)

A motherboard would really do nothing for the performance of a computer, past enabling better overclocking. I'm a bit confused about the question, why only those two choices? Is this a new build you are doing? I would also not use the mini versions of the cards, they tend to have worse cooling.

alexander0hamilton

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
I am building a new PC and my question was should I spend more money on the motherboard of the PC or the graphics card. The parts that I listed were some choices I was thinking of. Also, This will be a gaming pc.

I would take a lower spec motherboard and a higher end video card every time. Motherboard would probably be near the bottom along with fancy case as far as money spent. CPU, Video Card, Power Supply should be your tier 1 spending priority, RAM / Motherboard, SSD speeds tier 2, then case and aftermarket cooling in tier 3. RAM motherboards should be matched to each-other, you don't need high end RAM for a low range motherboard since the speeds RAM is capable off in overclock would be wasted on a motherboard without good overclock potential.

alexander0hamilton

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
Could I cut the ASUS rog strix down to a MSI b450 gaming plus or the Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE to include a cooler because some games I will be playing will be CPU intensive so I want to keep my CPU cool. I will playing games like GTA 5, Rust, R6, and Just Cause 3

Of course you could. But from what I've seen in reviews the stock ryzen cooler is surprisingly good, and the 212 may be a waste. If you plan on leaving the stock clocks. You could use money saved from no cooler/cheaper mobo for something like a wd blue 1tb HDD. Those 4 games are gonna use 200ish gb.

I thought all 2xxx came with the same cooler, so I'm probably thinking about the one that comes with the x models. So I would just grab the cheaper board and go with the trusty 212. Although I still think if you're not going to overclock, you should be ok, and can save yourself a few bucks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Get the board you need. If planning on OC or dual m.2, multiple Sata, multiple fan headers, more than 1 usb2.0 header etc. No point in making a full build then buying the cheapest mobo, just cuz its cheap. It's got to fit your other needs, even if just color scheme or RGB etc or you'll not be happy with the end result, regardless of its actual performance.

The Wraith cooler that comes with the 2600x is almost identical in performance to the CM hyper212 evo, 1°C difference at OC loads, but also slightly quieter.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $867.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-05 20:00 EST-0500

Add a 1TB HDD also, only about $40. Perhaps no SSD? My 2TB seagate barracuda boots Windows in about 11 seconds.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well even with the HDD added for around $40 you're still right around your desired budget of $900. Any PC build close to $1000 ought to have an SSD, IMO. You could drop down to a 250 GB, but I feel like those will start being too small pretty quickly and the 500 GB generally don't cost a whole lot more. You could always add an SSD later, but then you have to deal with reinstalling everything.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Once you start collecting things like programs, apps, whatever, you'll notice some of those things come with startups all of which add to boot times.

My Samsung 840 Pro with a bare minimum of OS and a few programs was booting in @8 seconds, that's until it was internet ready. Now it takes @22 seconds on a cold boot to internet. No way a hdd will get those times. Ssd is a minimum of 5x faster than a hdd, NVMe are faster still.

By boot I mean the time when i press the power button to when the password screen comes up. For apps like Spotify, steam, java updater etc. it takes maybe a full minute and a half before the system stops becoming laggy and my disc usage drops below 100%.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's an area you should see a pretty noticeable difference. With an SSD your system should be pretty responsive almost as soon as you hit the desktop. Like I can launch a browser basically as soon as I've logged into windows and it will open quickly, compared to with an HDD where it would take a while to launch due to the disk still being busy loading other things.