Question Motherboard with 3x PCIE slots running in x16 mode

Wario23

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2016
This PCIE thing is really making me think that I'm the dumbest human on the planet.

Okay. Here we go with a (probably) really dumb question. Feel free to absolutely roast and destroy me because I surely am not getting it.

Is there a motherboard with at least three PCIE slots that run simultaneously in x16 speeds? I mean true 16 lanes to run a GPU and two m.2-adapter cards (like that ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card) at full speed. I know that the ASUS run requires 16 lanes, otherwise not all of the m.2 SSD's will be recognized.

Does such a motherboard even exist? I couldn't find a single one that actually provides those PCIE lanes. 99% of the time the other slots get downgraded to x8 or x4 if the first one is occupied and running in x16. I know that PCIE lanes can also be provided by the CPU, but I just don't get it. Every time the motherboard seems to be the limiting aspect.

While we are at it, feel free to suggest a CPU as well - one that should be good for gaming (like the Intel i9 12th/13th generation one, or a xeon similar to that one, or an AMD one).

Thank you in advance for bothering with my dumb question.

when you say "adapter card", you mean an additional PCIe card to install M.2 drives into?
if so, why would you go this route when you can just get a board that has native M.2 slots available?

i am currently running my RTX 3080 Ti along with 2x MP510 M.2 drives all at max speeds with no issue whatsoever.

Of course they make them you just are trying to use the wrong tool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X299-WU8-rev-10/sp#sp

Motherboard and cpu targeted at consumers don't need that many pcie lanes. You get about 20pcie lanes from the cpu directly and can get 16 or so more from the chipset that is way more than enough for even a power home or business user.

If you have a actual application that needs more then these high end cpu and motherboards and their high price can be justified by your need.

Reactions: Wario23
Is there a motherboard with at least three PCIE slots that run simultaneously in x16 speeds? I mean true 16 lanes to run a GPU and two m.2-adapter cards (like that ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card) at full speed.
So your reasoning is - to have gaming grade PCIE x16 graphics card and additionally 10+ nvme ssds installed?
What workload requires that many nvme ssds?

Such requirements correspond to server and high end desktop class systems.

Reactions: Wario23

Wario23

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2016
Thank you for your replies! Yeah, I need a lot of SSD storage... and right now, 4x 4TB m.2 SSD's are cheaper than 2x 8TB SSD's, so I'm in need of those adapter cards. 2TB SSD's are even cheaper when it comes to €/GB, but then I'd need EVEN more adapter cards!!

Those motherboards look good, but the availability seems to be a problem. I guess I'll have to wait a while longer... if you've got even more motherboard suggestions with these PCIE slots running in x16, I'd gladly appreciate it. You guys have helped me tremendously already!! :giggle: I guess I just wasn't looking at the right places...

The x299 was purely a example and is old technology, I did not know the names of the new stuff. How much cheaper are 4 x4tb. Even those older x299 and cpu that goes in that board are in the $1500 range and that was years ago.

I do not stay current on server cpu so I can't say what exact chip is the current intel. The amd thread ripper chips start at about $1500 for the low end ones and well over $6000. That is just the chip the motherboard are not cheap that run these.

I did not spend much time on this because I didn't figure anyone on this forum was actually serious about spending that kind of money. Maybe someone that knows more about servers can give you a more detail recommendation.