Motherboard without HDMI, DVI, VGA ports, and Motherboard with HDMI, DVI and VGA ports. Which one is better?

mikeeey7

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hello, PC lovers!

I have some questions related to motherboard which come with the HDMI DVI and VGA port and the one that does not.

I am looking at the GIGABYTE H97 Gaming 3, and ASUS M5A97 EVO REV2.0.

I've notice that this GIGABYTE MOBO has those ports and ASUS doesn't. I do not understand what the ports on the MOBO will be functions as, since the graphic card have all of those already.

Do we need/should buy the MOBO with those ports? Why? Why not?

This is my first budget build. And I will be running the MOBO with AMD FX 8350.
Please give me your opinions on this.

Thanks guys!

Solution
If you intend to purchase a discrete graphics card, the only real reason to purchase a motherboard (and CPU) with on-board graphics capabilities would be as an emergency backup should your graphics card fail or, on the chance that you could run both discrete and integrated graphics, perhaps for an extra monitor.

-Wolf sends

x1l1

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
You can easily rule out the Gigabyte H97 because that is for Intel processors, not AMD. On the whole, you are correct in insinuating that the additional ports do not matter if you are purchasing a video card that is capable of the same. Ultimately you will be connecting your monitor(s) to your video card, not the motherboard.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you intend to purchase a discrete graphics card, the only real reason to purchase a motherboard (and CPU) with on-board graphics capabilities would be as an emergency backup should your graphics card fail or, on the chance that you could run both discrete and integrated graphics, perhaps for an extra monitor.

-Wolf sends

Solution

mikeeey7

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Hey, x1|1

Thanks for answering! Now this explain me better!

Thank you!

mikeeey7

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Hi, Wolfshadow

I am thinking of buying a discrete graphic card and maybe later extend for another monitors, for streaming games.

but when you mention about the graphic card fail, that got me thinking of having a MOBO with all those ports just for emergency!

Thank you!

mikeeey7

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

One more quesiton, since i am gonna use the HDMI ports from the graphic card, if I am gonna use another monitor, can i plug the cable to the DVI port on the same monitor? is there gonna be any problem?

Wolfshadw

Titan
First off, not all motherboards allow you to use both a discrete graphics card and the on-board graphics at the same time.

If I understand your question correctly, in theory, it should not make any difference if you have a monitor connected via HDMI to a graphics card while at the same time, having the same monitor connected via DVI to the motherboard's on-board graphics output. Your computer will still (likely) send out video signals via both outputs (if it's capable of doing so) which means it's doing more work (likely means lower FPS), but it would be just a matter of switching the monitor input from HDMI to DVI.

Personally, I wouldn't have the on-board graphics connected at all if I had a discrete card installed. It's only for an emergency.

-Wolf sends

mikeeey7

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

THANK YOU! NOW I FINALLY UNDERSTAND!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D