[SOLVED] Motherboard won't boot without taking Cmos battery out or with no battery at all.

Feb 24, 2021
Hello everyone!

My issue is the following, for the last two days, my computer has been acting up. My motherboard's CPU led is blinking, at first I thought it was only that the CPU might be out of his socket, so I reinstalled it, it fixed the problem. then a few hours later, I restarted my PC, and the same issue came up, I decided to remove and reinsert the Cmos battery, it then works again. Then again, a few hours later, I restart my PC, and it does it again! I have now removed the Cmos battery completely, and it seems to work, but I am losing hope... is my motherboard dying?

Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair H100i V2 240mm
Aorus X570 Pro
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RAM
Aorus RTX 2080
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Thank you!

Solution
I haven't tried that, how do you do that?
Luckily, on your board (X570 Aorus Master), clearing the CMOS is pretty much just unplugging everything, discharge power by holding the power button for a few seconds, then pressing the "Clear CMOS" button on your rear I/O. It should be located top left near the Aorus branding back there.

Have you looked up other solutions elsewhere? Out of curiosity I just googled your motherboard model and it seems a lot of people are having the same problem as you are. From the top of my head, here are some proposed solutions:

Checking if your display cable is VESA-certified (weird, I know)
Make sure you're not using dodgy powered USB hubs or weak PSU
Turning on ErP in BIOS
Turning off Cool n Quiet...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hi!
I have already replaced the battery, it hasn't changed anything, I forgot to say that.
Hi, OP
I suspected that the fact that you unplugged the PC to reseat the CPU, and then replacing the CMOS battery resetted the BIOS so the board boots. Otherwise, when the BIOS is set already, it won't boot. So, I would blame the BIOS first in this case. Either it's just a firmware hiccup, or there is something wrong with the BIOS memory chip itself.

So either a problem with corrupted BIOS, which you can either clear the CMOS, or try updating the BIOS to provide a fresh firmware to work with. If either didn't work, the board needs to be replaced.

Feb 24, 2021
Hi, OP
I suspected that the fact that you unplugged the PC to reseat the CPU, and then replacing the CMOS battery resetted the BIOS so the board boots. Otherwise, when the BIOS is set already, it won't boot. So, I would blame the BIOS first in this case. Either it's just a firmware hiccup, or there is something wrong with the BIOS memory chip itself.

So either a problem with corrupted BIOS, which you can either clear the CMOS, or try updating the BIOS to provide a fresh firmware to work with. If either didn't work, the board needs to be replaced.

I have already updated the Bios to the latest release (V33) but nothing's changed... I may have a bad Bios chip... altought it's the third time I will be replacing that motherboard...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I have already updated the Bios to the latest release (V33) but nothing's changed... I may have a bad Bios chip... altought it's the third time I will be replacing that motherboard...
Have you tried jumping the CMOS jumper to clear the BIOS? Not only replacing the battery, that is.
If you have, the only troubleshooting I can think of is referring to TH's master guide on non booting PCs, short of replacing parts (that understandably is a massive hassle and costly)

Feb 24, 2021
Have you tried jumping the CMOS jumper to clear the BIOS? Not only replacing the battery, that is.
If you have, the only troubleshooting I can think of is referring to TH's master guide on non booting PCs, short of replacing parts (that understandably is a massive hassle and costly)

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Luckily, on your board (X570 Aorus Master), clearing the CMOS is pretty much just unplugging everything, discharge power by holding the power button for a few seconds, then pressing the "Clear CMOS" button on your rear I/O. It should be located top left near the Aorus branding back there.

Have you looked up other solutions elsewhere? Out of curiosity I just googled your motherboard model and it seems a lot of people are having the same problem as you are. From the top of my head, here are some proposed solutions:

Checking if your display cable is VESA-certified (weird, I know)
Make sure you're not using dodgy powered USB hubs or weak PSU
Turning on ErP in BIOS
Turning off Cool n Quiet in BIOS
Making sure XMP profile is on

It seems like some early models of the board is particularly finicky, and their only fix is an RMA.

Solution

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
UPDATE
I had installed a new Wifi card to my system (https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00256035.html).

Removing it resolves the problem..... so any idea on how I can still use Wi-Fi AND my PC at the same time? xD

If not then I will just take it back to the store.
Glad you fixed it, man! Maybe try getting a cheapo USB wifi receiver and see if the same problem persists in the future? I myself use a $4 RealTek stuff and it's working just fine. At least it'll get you online just not very fast for downloading.

I think the main issue here is the X570 Aorus line isn't very much reliable especially on some batches, as such lots of the same issue with different fixes being everywhere. If someone can enlight us on this particular line of MB it would be great.

Shame really since I do like Gigabyte's boards (used several in the past no problem)

Reactions: NoX_37
Feb 24, 2021
Glad you fixed it, man! Maybe try getting a cheapo USB wifi receiver and see if the same problem persists in the future? I myself use a $4 RealTek stuff and it's working just fine. At least it'll get you online just not very fast for downloading.

I think the main issue here is the X570 Aorus line isn't very much reliable especially on some batches, as such lots of the same issue with different fixes being everywhere. If someone can enlight us on this particular line of MB it would be great.

Shame really since I do like Gigabyte's boards (used several in the past no problem)

It was definitly the WiFi card, it works fine now... but offline xD, I'll get myself another cheap one while my optic fiber gets installed!

Thank you all