[SOLVED] Motherboard won't detect GPU (GTX 1660Ti)

ahmadluqmanhakimi7

Commendable
Dec 15, 2017
Hello,
I bought GTX 1660 Ti and the card is not being detected on my motherboard (LGA 1150) that has an i5 4460, is there any solution to make it work? or do I have to use a new motherboard?

Note that the motherboard came from an old prebuilt from Dell called Inspiron 3847

Solution
I did connect the cable firmly but there's not enough power from the motherboard to boot it up..
Although the GPU fan did spin
Still pretty sure it has nothing to do with power. If its a pcie 3.0 slot it has to be able to deliver 75w to meet 3.0 specification. As I said earlier Dell have been known to limit gpu's that will run by locking out all others with a BIOS restriction. It doesn't matter though, in both cases you need a new motherboard.

ahmadluqmanhakimi7

Commendable
Dec 15, 2017
Hmm its a Dell motherboard. I know in the past Dell have used BIOS restrictions to limit what gpu's can be used with the motherboard.
I have discovered what's wrong with the motherboard, The motherboard only uses 4 pin power connector not the standard 8 pin that are needed to power the GPU. So the only solution I have is just buying a new motherboard.

The PSU has the connector but my motherboard which I think it is an old motherboard from maybe 2011 or 2012 only has one 4 pin power connector on the board so the GPU do not have enough power to even boot up

I doubt that’s the cause, most of the power should come from the 8 pin pcie connector. That’s a point, you do have the separate 8 pin connector plugged in? Also GPU’s back in 2011-2012 were far more power hungry than modern gpu’s. You might need a different motherboard but I doubt it has anything to do with the 4 pin cpu power cable, I could be wrong but seems unlikely.

ahmadluqmanhakimi7

Commendable
Dec 15, 2017
I doubt that’s the cause, most of the power should come from the 8 pin pcie connector. That’s a point, you do have the separate 8 pin connector plugged in? Also GPU’s back in 2011-2012 were far more power hungry than modern gpu’s. You might need a different motherboard but I doubt it has anything to do with the 4 pin cpu power cable, I could be wrong but seems unlikely.
https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1SvfrNLtQS.pdf

I reckon the motherboard doesn't have enough power to even boot up with the GPU and the manual in the link has pictures of the motherboard for reference

I did connect the cable firmly but there's not enough power from the motherboard to boot it up..
Although the GPU fan did spin
Still pretty sure it has nothing to do with power. If its a pcie 3.0 slot it has to be able to deliver 75w to meet 3.0 specification. As I said earlier Dell have been known to limit gpu's that will run by locking out all others with a BIOS restriction. It doesn't matter though, in both cases you need a new motherboard.

Solution
your motherboard needs a 4 pin EATX 12 volt power connector. Use half of the 4+4 EATX 8pin connector.
Your graphics card also need a 8 pin PCIE power connector plugged directly into the graphics card.
your power supply has 6+2 PCIE power connectors for graphics cards
Both cables must be plugged in for the computer to boot and run.

ahmadluqmanhakimi7

Commendable
Dec 15, 2017
Yeah so I just got to replace the motherboard