Motorola Takes Big Losses in Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
This article is pretty confusing. Is it talking about Motorola Mobility (which Google owns) or Motorola the independent company? It goes from one to the other, not making it clear who is losing money.

It would be understandable that Motorola Mobility is losing Google money right now since they just finally released their first phone. You can't make money if you have no products.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Motorola, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, RIM, HTC, Nokia all are decaying as companies.
This has been evident since the touch-smartphone revolution happened and they have found no penetration in the market. These are like the names of electronic companies in the 70s that faded away. They're fresh in our minds so we think of them as the giants they once were, but they are all turning into footnotes into history.

Sony has the best chance to stay afloat. They are a shadow of themselves but can still be somewhat of a player in the space.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
A large portion of this is likely due to the transition from the crappy pre-Google product line to the new product line.

Also, getting that factory up and running in Texas probably didn't help either. The Moto X is one of the best phones on the market right now and the refreshed Droid lineup much better as well. Sales should start to reflect that once those products are accounted for and there is a more worldwide release.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I miss my old Droid X2 :(, dropped that thing quite a few times and it still worked like a champ, who doesnt like a phone wrapped in kevlar? On the other hand... I'm scared of dropping my plastic samsung just once...

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I'll be glad when Google let Motorola start making it's products. That has to be one of the reasons they brought the company (besides the patents;)

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Regardless of what they claim, the Moto X is definitely a Google phone all the way. The technology and design make that very clear.

The big difference is mainly that Motorola doesn't fit with Google's usual tactic of making money off services not hardware, therefore the price isn't rock bottom like Nexus devices. That's a big reason why I think Motorola will be kept separate for the time being. I don't expect to see a full line of "Google" branded stuff anytime soon.

Google products are designed to innovate the market and promote its services, not make profit directly. Motorola products need to make profit in order to keep the company alive.

Google really doesn't want to be an Apple competitor in the sense of being a device company because it would likely distance it from it's OEM partners in the same way Microsoft is doing with Surface. The Nexus line doesn't apply because it is made by those same OEM partners.

In that spirit, I think the only advantage Motorola gives them is a fallback plan in case Samsung decides to further distance it's product line in a way similar to Amazon, or perhaps abandon Google altogether with Tizen.

Everything Google does, it does for a reason. Sometimes that reason just isn't immediately clear. I don't believe purchasing Motorola was quite the mistake it was made out to be because of the vulnerability mentioned earlier.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I think it's a stretch to say Apple is giving Android, or Windows Phone for that matter, any real competition. It's more like Samsung is giving Moto great competition. Apple doesn't have a clue but people just buy anything they put out (the iPad Mini and iPod Shuffle are two great examples) and people just aren't buying the HTC One enough to make a big difference even though it's a great device. It's too bad Google didn't release the Maxx as the Moto X. It would have done much better. The battery in the Moto X is ok but it needs to be better than ok these days. It also wouldn't hurt if Google would realize how bad an idea the on-screen buttons are on a phone and just move them off screen like they should be so they don't waste room in games, books, web pages, slide shows, or anything else other than some/most full screen video which can actually use that space.

Status
Not open for further replies.