Motorola Wants $100 Million+ From Microsoft Over Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Court filings revealed that Microsoft is willing to pay as much as $502,000 per year to license Motorola's H.264 video patents. The software giant also said it would pay as much as $736,000 for Motorola's 802.11 wireless technology.
Motorola, however, doesn't want to settle with a one-off fee.
Yay go Zak!

:/

G

ojas I know you want to pick on people, but what you think is wrong is correct. one time fee inplys once a year where no matter how much revanue they make the price is the same, as opposed to a % of revanue would consistantly change based on sales.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
ojas I know you want to pick on people, but what you think is wrong is correct. one time fee inplys once a year where no matter how much revanue they make the price is the same, as opposed to a % of revanue would consistantly change based on sales.
Actually, it really depends on how you look at it; A large majority of the time, it is used to implicate a one-time only fee, hence the term "one-off".

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]Go get em' google! ...next up...apple...[/citation]

Then who is going to keep google in check? Google knows everything about everyone. I don't want them dominating the world, too.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I didn't realize H.264 made up 2.25% of windows OS.... Come on, really? Microsoft owes them money, but 2.25% seems a bit crazy for something that isn't used often by a large portion of windows users. I can understand the wifi number a bit more, that feature is used quite often on most platforms.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Why should Motorola demand a percentage of the selling price. It costs no more to put these technologies in a cheap phone than an expensive one. This is just greed on the part of Motorolla, trying the same trick they played on Apple!

Working on a percentage of the selling price means you have to work with a limited number of FRAND patents before you are all out of profit, no matter how high the selling price. How can anyone creat a top notch phone with all the latest technologies?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Motoroa is reaching too far. I am all for a patent holder being fairly compensated for their patent. If someone else builds a new standard for implementing data transfers, they have the right to charge for its use. But seriously? $100-$125 million? A YEAR? Something a bit higher than $0.5 Million may be due, but a hundred million is overkill.

FSCx64

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]I didn't realize H.264 made up 2.25% of windows OS.... Come on, really? Microsoft owes them money, but 2.25% seems a bit crazy for something that isn't used often by a large portion of windows users. I can understand the wifi number a bit more, that feature is used quite often on most platforms.[/citation]

I don't think this is about money. I think this is a way for Motorola and Google to push M$ to cross license some of their patents. What I've understood right now $10 from every Android phone sold is going to Ballmers company.

If we think average Android phone price is 350, then 2,9% goes to M$. And I am sure Microsofts input towards Android is worth that 2,9 %...not.

I can be wrong.. wouldn't be the first time :D

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Pay up tiles-loving wiches at Mofo Micro.

You make a profit on each Android device sold. So why shouldn't Google make a little for every Window sold if Window uses Moto's patent. What goes around, comes around

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
To be fair, as far as businesses go, 100 million is a pittance. Hell, they've probably sold 100 million Xbox 360s, is it really that unreal that Motorola wants a buck or two per unit sold since the product contains a patented part?

Not saying I like these legal pissing matches, but as far as settlements go, that doesn't seem like an especially unreasonable amount.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wreed1346[/nom]ojas I know you want to pick on people, but what you think is wrong is correct. one time fee inplys once a year where no matter how much revanue they make the price is the same, as opposed to a % of revanue would consistantly change based on sales.[/citation]
Not people, only Zak.

[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Actually, it really depends on how you look at it; A large majority of the time, it is used to implicate a one-time only fee, hence the term "one-off".[/citation]
This.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]FSCx64[/nom]I don't think this is about money. I think this is a way for Motorola and Google to push M$ to cross license some of their patents. What I've understood right now $10 from every Android phone sold is going to Ballmers company.If we think average Android phone price is 350, then 2,9% goes to M$. And I am sure Microsofts input towards Android is worth that 2,9 %...not.I can be wrong.. wouldn't be the first time[/citation]
That $10 per phone, covers several patents that Google knowingly and willfully fringed. Google came out better paying $10 per phone willingly....than they would have if it had gone to court.

[citation][nom]FSCx64[/nom]I don't think this is about money. I think this is a way for Motorola and Google to push M$ to cross license some of their patents. What I've understood right now $10 from every Android phone sold is going to Ballmers company.If we think average Android phone price is 350, then 2,9% goes to M$. And I am sure Microsofts input towards Android is worth that 2,9 %...not.I can be wrong.. wouldn't be the first time[/citation]
There's nothing wrong with Motorola making money on their patents. The issue is how much they think those patents are worth. MS is receiving $10 in total for every Android device sold. Google knowingly and willfully infringed multiple patents held by MS. Motorola wants more for 1 patent, than MS is making off the multiple patents that the $10 per android device covers.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
"Standard-essential" ip? Let me tell you what is standard, receiving emails on a phone is pretty standard, but you guys make every Android manufacturer pay you a lump sum for EVERY phone sold. Video codec patents - not so essential in my book. What is this name your own pricing for the patents people use off you, and name your own pricing for the patents you need to pay? Why pay 500,000? Why not just say you'll only pay $5?!#@@$$

Status
Not open for further replies.