Motorola Xoom: The First Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Tablet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]irtehyar[/nom]Good article. I'm an android phone owner and an ipad owner, and am slowly being converted to iOS for mobile simply because of the vast amount of applications I use that aren't even similarly available on the Android OS. This is painful for me because I'm a Windows programmer and I despise Apple, assemble my own PCs, etc. I'm pretty typical there I guess. But in the end, I just want something that does what I want (music and language apps, mostly), and when it comes to tablet software, only the iPad delivers for me. I wonder if this is similar to the way people in music and education felt in the early days of Mac vs PC, when Apple had the best experience and best apps for certain industries? These days I could never go Mac because it does a very tiny fraction of what I do on the PC. Not the case for the more limited tablet world.[/citation]

If you actually took some time a looked into it, I think you would find that your assumptions about OSX are inaccurate as well. I thought the same thing until I spent the time to see for myself.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]winterblade[/nom]About people saying they rather get a netbook or even a notebook instead a tablet (I was one of those not long ago) The only thing I can say is that if some one manage to make a 1.5 pound netbook with the 8-9 hours of constant use I can get from my Xoom I will agree with you then, but not today, tablets do have advantages over traditional systems.[/citation]
BINGO!

Also add INSTANT ON. Want to check out something on TV on IMDB... takes a second, rather than leaving the room or turning on my 6lb Thinkpad.

I do trade shows in which I'm meeting and talking with people in huge huge buildings from 9am ~ 6pm (give or take). And NO WAY is any notebook going to handle that much time... and the weight! My iPad lasts all day at 1.7lbs.

A client has a light-weight 12" ThinkPad X220 (i5 CPU / 4GB / mid-6 cell battery [they sell 4 & 9 cell]) and at best, it lasts 5~6 hours. It weighs about 3.5lbs... a great device. But even with an SSD, its boot up time is 20 seconds!

My older ThinkPad with Windows7 at 6lbs... I get about 1~2 hours.

G

I have an Asus Transformer and taking a screenshot is just a matter of pressing a button on the keyboard. Can't see what is difficult about that, unless you have a lesser tablet!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.