Mountain Lion: Three Million Downloads in Four Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I dusted my mac off for this one.
So far, looks and acts just like it did before: Just sits there.
Oh well.... I keep my mac crap up to date in case the kids want to use it some day....

wiredthisway

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I'm a Mac admin at work so I HAVE to use one. I'm upgrading to this ASAP since Lion was such a waste. When Lion first came out, on a machine bound to a domain, you could log in with ANY password. It didn't matter what it was and would let you in. How's that for security. We have largely passed over Lion and I'm hoping Mountain can fill the holes that were created by it's predecessor.

G

Should have called it cougar, it would have been way more popular..they could have even given it larger buttons to play with. :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Thestarv[/nom]Should have called it cougar, it would have been way more popular..they could have even given it larger buttons to play with.[/citation]
They are waiting till touch controls are built into OSX then they can call it Pussy

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Congratulations Apple, you just convinced 3 million people to pay $20 for a service pack AGAIN!

You added text messaging, a notification interface stolen from Google, iCloud (wheee), and a default security setting that only lets you install applications from iTunes to a desktop computer.

All hail the greatest update ever..

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Like it or not Apple stock worth more than Google, Microsoft together. They are doing something right. Who ever has the money to afford a mac has done it and is more happy with OSX than he/she was ever with Windows. Most academics use macs at home and all serious computations are done under Linux (see list of 500 most powerful supercomputers). Just some kids are stuck to Windows for gaming... of curse they are only in contact with other kids and believe MS owns the world!

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]chewy62[/nom]Coming next summer, OS X 10.9 aka Housecat[/citation]
Nahh, lolcat would be better. I've been hoping they'd do that for a while.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom]Like it or not Apple stock worth more than Google, Microsoft together. They are doing something right. Who ever has the money to afford a mac has done it and is more happy with OSX than he/she was ever with Windows. Most academics use macs at home and all serious computations are done under Linux (see list of 500 most powerful supercomputers). Just some kids are stuck to Windows for gaming... of curse they are only in contact with other kids and believe MS owns the world![/citation]

Some kids and 95% of worldwide computer users which includes the majority of home users, businesses and corporations. Like it or not Microsoft and Windows are used happily by billions of users daily and a significant subset do so by choice, the same can't be said of Macs or GNU/Linux distros who combined represent only the remaining 5%.

-Sent from my Macbook Air running OSX 10.8

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Congratulations Apple, you just convinced 3 million people to pay $30 for a service pack AGAIN!You added text messaging, a notification interface stolen from Google, iCloud (wheee), and a default security setting that only lets you install applications from iTunes to a desktop computer.All hail the greatest update ever..[/citation]

Having "Gatekeeper" disabled by default would make it utterly useless, because the normal dimwit user would never activate it in the first place and developers would probably not even bother with registering and signing their apps.
The default setting allows apps from any source as long as they are signed by registered developers. That, along with a daily check for blacklisted developers, is a nice step forward in security.

Paying 20 bucks for a few new features, including system wide voice dictation (!!!!!!!!), is a much better deal than paying Microsoft 100 bucks for the privilege of dealing with Metro.

(Actually sounds like a good deal, if the voice recognition works properly.)

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom]Like it or not Apple stock worth more than Google, Microsoft together. They are doing something right. Who ever has the money to afford a mac has done it and is more happy with OSX than he/she was ever with Windows. [/citation]

Well who ever would buy a Mac is pretty, well I would get banned for saying it, in the first place.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]....Paying 20 bucks for a few new features, including system wide voice dictation (!!!!!!!!), is a much better deal than paying Microsoft 100 bucks for the privilege of dealing with Metro.(Actually sounds like a good deal, if the voice recognition works properly.)[/citation]

As far a system wide voice dictation, read the raving reviews... The consensus is in, its great for one sentence of dictation, since the maximum dictation period is 30 seconds. You should just buy something from Nuance. Repeatedly pressing the Fn key twice in a row to dictate to the computer for 30 seconds is pointless. If you have to use a keyboard to dictate and it doesn't have a "command word" for activation, then whats the point?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Congratulations Apple, you just convinced 3 million people to pay $20 for a service pack AGAIN!You added text messaging, a notification interface stolen from Google, iCloud (wheee), and a default security setting that only lets you install applications from iTunes to a desktop computer.All hail the greatest update ever..[/citation]
How much did people pay for the Vista service pack called Windows 7?

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Paying 20 bucks for a few new features, including system wide voice dictation (!!!!!!!!), is a much better deal than paying Microsoft 100 bucks for the privilege of dealing with Metro.(Actually sounds like a good deal, if the voice recognition works properly.)[/citation]

Few new features... *Googles them* Thanks, downloaded more versatile Open Source versions for windows.
System wide voice dictation, love dealing with voice recognition software, Fantastic fun with accents or say a computer running in the background. Gimmicks.

Better deal then paying $100 for Metro interface? Probably still, you win that one.

halcyon

Splendid
I don't know. I have a 2010 Mac Pro (3.3 Ghz hexacore Xeon with 24GB RAM, 2x120GB OCZ SSDs in RAID0, 2x600GB V.Raptors, 2x1TB WD external eSATA drives, and 2x27" Cinema Displays) It works well with Lion and easily virtualizes any OS I choose to feed it (so its a reasonable rig). I don't think given the features of Mountain Lion its worth the $20 but Mountainl Lion offers NO features that are important to me. ...and no, I see no need to dictate to my computer (though I may play with it).

I wish they invest the energy in making the OS more fast and more efficient instead of adding a bunch of social-joke features. However, Lion works extremely well for me and I see no reason, at this point, to upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.