mounting RAID 1 drives? (Mac)

williemyers

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
hi again, all.
I've got a LaCie 2Big Quadra 2TB RAID that contains 2 x Hitachi 1TB SATA's, used in a RAID 1 array.
In doing a little "messing", I've pulled both of those drives and thought I would drop one in to a dock (toaster), but I found that the drive would not mount on my desktop? Tried the other drive and same result.
So, I'm wondering if the reason that these drives won't mount, is that since they've only ever been used in a RAID(1) array, is it possible that they don't have the necessary directory that they would've gotten had they initially been formatted as standalone Mac drives?

Solution
Altough MacOS is Unix-based, it might not support the file system / partitioning these drives are set up for.
Download recent Live Linux distro you can boot on your MAC, and start exploring.
If you had 2TB out of two 1TB drives, you had RAID 0 (striping) and not RAID 1 (mirroring). In that case, the drive you've put on the toaster contains only one of the halves necessary to reconstruct the data.

So, unless your "toaster" toasted the drive, return it back to the LaCie if you want your data back.

williemyers

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
sorry - my typo. it should have read "2TB RAID1 made out of 2 x 2TB drives..."

williemyers

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
hmmm, turns out I was wrong (about the typo) ...and so were you!
actually, the name of the drive is "LaCie 2Big Quadra 2TB RAID", where the "2TB" indicates the max. capacity if one were doing RAID 0 with the 2 x 1TB drives.
But, as I said, we were doing RAID 1 so I think my original question stands?
thanks again