[SOLVED] Mouse and Keyboard Recognized by BIOS, not by Windows 7

Nov 6, 2019
I recently installed a new motherboard and CPU to my system. Everything looks to be in working order and I'm not getting any reports that there are issues with the hardware. The BIOS boots and operates just fine and everything works as it should. The issue arrives when I try to install Windows 7. I'm basically starting from scratch in that I'm not using any drives with any previous installations for Windows 7 on it and am booting from a disc drive. I get to the installation screen and I can't advance because my mouse and keyboard no longer work when I get to that screen. I'm using an ASUS x570-PLUS motherboard.

Solution
For Win 7 and usb 3.0 you need to put the usb 3.0 drivers into the install. I had the same issue when I upgraded to a newer system...

I followed this guide on how to add modern usb 3.0/3.1 drivers into windows 7 http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

I had the same issue where it would start but all connectivity would stop upon trying to install as my motherboard had only usb 3.0 ports... Once I did this... It ran fine

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Have you tried switching to USB 2 Port instead of 3.0? if that didn't work follow these steps:
go to BIOS and try to find those options and set them to disabled;
Legacy USB
EHCI Pre-Boot Driver
XHCI Pre-Boot Driver

Enable these if found disabled:
EHCI/USB 2.0
XHCI/USB 3.0 Switchable

Save and boot from CD. If it still not working, look in the BIOS for Windows 7, 8 installation and make sure they're set to Enabled

Nov 6, 2019
Have you tried switching to USB 2 Port instead of 3.0? if that didn't work follow these steps:
go to BIOS and try to find those options and set them to disabled;
Legacy USB
EHCI Pre-Boot Driver
XHCI Pre-Boot Driver

Enable these if found disabled:
EHCI/USB 2.0
XHCI/USB 3.0 Switchable

Save and boot from CD. If it still not working, look in the BIOS for Windows 7, 8 installation and make sure they're set to Enabled
Unfortunately, all of my onboard USB connectors are USB 3. All USB options are enabled in the BIOS.

Edit: Would a PS/2 input be recognized?

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Unfortunately, all of my onboard USB connectors are USB 3. All USB options are enabled in the BIOS.

Edit: Would a PS/2 input be recognized?
Windows 7 installer doesn't have a built-in driver for USB 3.0. It only support USB 2.0 devices.
PS/2 should work if it's enabled in the registry (should be by default)
Do you have a previous operation system installed? If so, are you able to access the desktop? that would solve the problem by installing a 3.0 support patch or at least editing the registry to have it fixed.

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
For Win 7 and usb 3.0 you need to put the usb 3.0 drivers into the install. I had the same issue when I upgraded to a newer system...

I followed this guide on how to add modern usb 3.0/3.1 drivers into windows 7 http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

I had the same issue where it would start but all connectivity would stop upon trying to install as my motherboard had only usb 3.0 ports... Once I did this... It ran fine

Last edited:
Solution

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
Windows 7 will not be supported in a few months on top of that if you run it on current gen hardware (e.g. ryzen + or whatever intel have) you will get a HUGE popup saying unsupported hardware every boot and it will disable windows update unless you installed a hack/patch.

may want to bite the bullet and upgrade to something else maybe windows8.1 as it should be good for a few years?