Question Mouse and Keyboard stop working when installing Windows

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
This has me pretty stumped. I bought a SSD, installed it, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Got into Windows and everything was fantastic. Installed all the Windows updates, video card drivers, ect...

Then, rebooted the computer and lo and behold, it doesn't recognize the SSD as a valid boot device anymore. Assuming that the install was corrupted somehow, I decided to run startup repair on the Windows 7 disk. However, once the disk gets past "Windows is loading files" all the lights on my mouse and keyboard shut off and they stop working.

However, up until that point they work fine, if I go into BIOS they work no problem. I have no idea what the issue is... I literally JUST used this same disk to install Windows 7 and had no issues less than 30 minutes ago. The only advice I've been able to find thus far has been to ensure that legacy USB settings are enabled, and they are.

Also, if I boot into windows on a different drive that has the OS installed, my mouse and keyboard work just fine in Windows as well.

As it stands now, I cannot fix my Windows install or even reinstall Windows. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

GhostSnip3r

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

This was exactly the solution that worked for me. Thank you so much for your input. I have been struggling to get this operating properly but your answer was exactly the cure. I have the same MOBO and OS. Thanks again. My son will be happy now.

Yagher

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
On an AsRock Z170 Extreme 7+:

• * Enter Bios >F2
    * Tab to or click on Advanced
    * Select USB Configuration
For me it worked setting:

• * Legacy USB Support to Enabled
    * PS/2 Simulator Enabled
    * Third Party USB 3.1 USB Controller to disabled.
I also used a non-illuminated keyboard, as I know my Roccat ISKU seems to be a driver-diva. I also tried with both keyboard and a simple Logitech mouse, but the mouse seemed to freeze up both keyboard and mouse, maybe because the board has only one PS/2 slot.
But it did work with my old (2006) Dell keyboard after tweaking the USB settings in the BIOS, and it hadn't before I did that, so that's hopefully a QED :)

Thanks for all the help and tips in this thread, 'cause I was well on my way to a scripted USB Win7 stick created via a non-cooperating Win10 install :)

Hk_11

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

Hmm same thing happened to me fixed it temporarily by reinstalling the drivers. Try that.

hocello

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I had the same problem. I found the ultimate solution (if no one has mentioned) just google win7usb patcher. I have ASrock so I downloaded from their website. This worked for me.

amadzz

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
[url=put your mouse and keyboard to usb 2.0 not in 3.0,that's the standard configuration while intalling windows 7.Thanks add me in facebook amadzz madraz.

amadzz

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Put your usb mouse and keyboard to 2.0 not in 3.0,and your problems will be solve.Add me on facebook just search amadzz madraz.Thanks and Have a great day.

tarzanbappa

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Thanks it's working perfectly
I've already connect my key board & mouse through USB 2 ports but it was not working.
After patching my USB Windows Setup image using this tool it worked.

tarzanbappa

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
This is working great.
It didn't work for me even I connect both kb & mouse to USB 2 ports.
After patching my Win 7 USB image using Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility it worked like a charm.

DaveKennithson

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Hey, I sorry if someone had said this before but my solution was just to go into bios settings and enable windows 7 download mode... The only question left is why is this even a thing!

Danny_84

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Sorry if ive opened a solved post but i didnt find a answer and wanted to share my simple solution. I hit this very frustrating problem this morning and what i did was get a hdd from a different pc and put that in, booted pc up as normal and keyboard and mouse still not working, 2 mins later a buble popped up saying installing device drivers, bingo keyboard and mouse working again. Swapped hdd back and installed windows

Satheesh_2

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
HI Recently we Bought 24 Hp AIO B040nx PCs. On this, When i am trying to install OS, facing the same issue that keyboard & mouse are not working. Also I have tried below steps,

1. Plugged Keyboard & Mouse into USB 2.0 Ports

2. I have added usb 3.0. drivers into the installation image and tried to install windows 7 but the same issue was happened again.

3. I have upgraded and downgraded the bios

But still the problem persist. Please let me know if you any resolution for this. It will be very helpful.

rjamescastro

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
win HP pavilion 510-p020 tried all solutions suggested here. I had the same problem for several different disks/usb drives. I have several win7 oem disks, win7 sp1 disks, it wasn't until i tried win10 disk that the k/m worked, it seems to me the bios uefi manufactures are playing a part in trying to eliminate old win7 installs. No solution here guys, just adding my 2 cents.

Abhilashsaju

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

did you find the solution for for keyboard problum

Meatchill

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
So I know this issue is old, but I came across it today, tried all the above steps which failed and found my own.

I have an ASRock B250M PRO4 mobo, for anyone who's curious.
I managed to resolve the problem by a setting in BIOS - the following way:
Switch to Advanced BIOS > move to advanced tab > enable a setting called "PS/2 Simulator".

So if any other new mobos are having similar issues, you may have a simulator setting that resolved the PS/2 issue.
That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps someone.

Chris_448

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

I turned it off and it worked! Thanks

Alberto_19

Prominent
May 12, 2017
I am aware that this subject is very old, but I have encountered this problem in May 2017. I have just registered to thank @daeliassen for their contribution to solve the problem. I have tried ALL the solutions provided and none worked for me. I have spent many hours and finally the solution provided for @daeliassen has done the miracle, with the Intel Windows 7 * USB 3.0 Creator Utility.

Again, thanks @daeliassen. And, obviously, thanks to Intel.

droyal038

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

droyal038

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

iPlayMore

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
I've just set up a brand new system and had this issue of the Keyboard and mouse stop working when installing Win 7. I tried everything listed above, and nothing worked. So I installed Win 10 on another drive thinking that would work if I put in the Win 7 disk. No! Win 10 stopped Win 7 from being installable. After trying two versions of Windows 7, and then making an installable USB that not only stopped the keyboard and mouse functions, it would then blue screen! My assumption? Microsoft has somehow bribed the hardware manufacturers to do this. I don't want a bloated, pop up and stop everything I do OS for dummies. But that is what I have been forced to do. MS is eviler than we imagined. This cost me a day that I'll never get back, and all of the horrors of Win 10 that now I must endure. I think what we read above, is the early tests where you could make a work around, but I believe all of the loop holes are now closed on the newest motherboards. I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see it any other way.

atomkeysinclair

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
My goodness gracious grief -

Well - I'm glad I found this thread. And thanks to everyone that participated.
I found a fix. But is different from everyone else's I saw.

I have the ASUS Maximus IX Code with a Samsung EVO 960 m.2 ssd.
In the bios. Advanced->USB Configuration->USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator->Enabled
What in the world is that nonsense? I tried it with both the usb 3 and 2 ports. Works on both.

Hope this helped someone.

Atomkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.