[SOLVED] Mouse and Keyboard work in bios but stop working in windows after new motherboard/CPU installed

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
I purchased an MSI B550M VDH Pro-wifi and an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x. I replaced an AMD FX-6300 and an ASrock AM3+ motherboard the exact make of which I can't remember. After some fiddling, I updated the BIOS to the latest version successfully and was able to boot into windows(7 home premium) on my SSD. However, once in Windows my USB mouse and keyboard cease to work, lights turn off. I don't have a ps/2 keyboard or mouse to use. So, I'm completely unable to use Windows at all. I can't get passed the login screen as I can't type or use the mouse. I have a disc with drivers to install, but I can't do this as I can't actually login or do anything. What do I need to do to get the mouse or keyboard working? Ideally without having to do a fresh install of windows.

EDIT: Having just tried it I can confirm that upon booting into a USB windows installation the mouse and keyboard also stop working. So I can't even perform a new install. The keyboard works in the Safe mode prompt, though. I've tried every USB port and I've tried the keyboard and mouse individually. The USB drive I was running the windows installation off of continued working, the mouse and keyboard did not.

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, I have not plugged in any of the case USB ports. All of this is directly into the mobo. I have the latest BIOS installed. Mouse and keyboard both work completely normally in the BIOS, then turn off the instant you get into Windows. I have tried booting Windows from my SSD, I have tried booting an old install from a hard drive, and I've tried an installation ISO on a USB drive. Mouse and keyboard both die instantly in all of them.
You have an old version of an unsupported OS. Not surprising that it doesn't work. You will have to search if there are Windows 7 drivers for your motherboard. If so, then you will have to do a clean install with those drivers slipstreamed into the Windows 7 installer. But you really need to...

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, I have not plugged in any of the case USB ports. All of this is directly into the mobo. I have the latest BIOS installed. Mouse and keyboard both work completely normally in the BIOS, then turn off the instant you get into Windows. I have tried booting Windows from my SSD, I have tried booting an old install from a hard drive, and I've tried an installation ISO on a USB drive. Mouse and keyboard both die instantly in all of them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can sort of understand the 1st two deaths but USB shouldn't die if you run off the usb drive at boot.

are you using boot override in bios to boot off the USB? Does it start the actual installer? As the drivers on the installer USB should work for the other usb devices.

kanewolf

Titan
You have an old version of an unsupported OS. Not surprising that it doesn't work. You will have to search if there are Windows 7 drivers for your motherboard. If so, then you will have to do a clean install with those drivers slipstreamed into the Windows 7 installer. But you really need to upgrade to Windows 10.

Solution

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
i can sort of understand the 1st two deaths but USB shouldn't die if you run off the usb drive at boot.

are you using boot override in bios to boot off the USB? Does it start the actual installer? As the drivers on the installer USB should work for the other usb devices.
Yeah, I'm booting to the USB. It brings up the installer, but I can't advance the installation because I can't actually input anything.

gamd

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Turns out Windows 10 was the solution: upon booting into a windows 10 installation everything functioned normally. Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually.