Mouse and Keyboard work in Bios, wont work in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

damo_2506

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I know this may sound like many of the other posts about this problem, but I think Ive isolated the problem. I recently bought a new custom computer with windows 7 pro. For some reason i re-installed windows 7 just to make sure and now the mouse/keyboard will work in BIOS, but not in windows. Ive spent hours looking at solutions, and I can assure you no bios altering is needed regarding USB configuration etc... I think it has to do with an unknown device that has cropped up in the device manager, and it seems that when I uninstall it within safe mode and restart into windows normally, the mouse and kb work fine. BUT when I look in device manager in windows the same unknown device is still there. I cant seem to permanently uninstall it. Furthermore I dont know what it is; I cant see a DEV or VEN code.

Anyone had this sort of problem before? I know it has to to with this unknown device because through uninstalling it ive gotten the mouse & kb to work.

Just as a further note, it seems that when I get to the stage where ive temporarily uninstalled these unknown devices, windows always seems to be installing the devices, which takes a few minutes each time.

Also if this helps Ive got an ASUS H87I-PLUS Motherboard

littlejoey

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
SOLUTION YOU WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDERED IN A MILLION YEARS, BUT IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

This same problem got me crazy while i was installing Window 7 at a new 4TB HDD. If I had a gun on hand, I probably would have shot someone just to feel a little bit better. I was so frustrated I have tried everything and anything that you could possibly imagine, plunging & unplugging million times, setting BIOS USB legacy "ON" / "OFF" million times, restarting the computer two million times, updating BIOS, using PS2 mouse / keyboard, using brand new mouse and keyboard, re-installing Window. THEY ALL FAIL!

I read every forum that I could possibility find on the internet, same suggestions over and over again, some even go extra length to remotely control their PC and change or delete some software setting or coding, so complex that I don't even know what they are doing, I doubt if they do either. And somehow after hours of reading those forum, NO ONE - I MEAN NO ONE ON THIS PLANET EARTH could possibly answer this seemingly simple enough question directly, just for the malfunction of a little mouse and a keyboard. (which may be the simplest component on a desktop except for the little CPU fan or LED light i guess:) Not even those computer geeks or IT engineering, everybody just "Guess", guessing what the problem was and making suggestions.

This so often asked question found on the internet and no one have ever solved it and gave a directly answer ?
I don't even need an explanation, just a solution to this stupid problem, still but i can't find one!

Frustrated enough, I stared at the light of the mother board which was still on while I had already given up and switched off the computer. Something suddenly hit my mind, an idea, a strange idea that probably not even making any sense to anybody, but it came up. " What if I turn off the POWER of the power adapter as well, wait until the light of the mother board goes out and restart to see what happen? But lets be honest, it doesn't matter right? What difference does that make between keeping the adapter power on or off with the malfunction USB port or mouse or keyboard ? On top of that, it wasn't even a hardware problem anyway, those mouse and keyboard just work perfectly fine with other laptops or desktop except this stupid one ! As the title already said "Mouse and Keyboard work in Bios, wont work in Windows" The malfunction must has everything to do with bugs of window or software or BIOS or anything beside this ! "

Well, it doesn't cost me anything to try, fxxk it, lets do it ! At that time, the installation process of Window 7 was almost completed except the last step - entering the key. But you know, after (but not before) the stupid BIOS screen, when it hit the Window screen, everything stopped working, every time, every single time BUT NOT THIS TIME. Holy cow ! What the heck is going on ? After all those logical and reasonable trials suggested by everyone, it all came down to THIS ONE ? Are you kidding me ? Trust me, both the mouse and keyboard did not work during million times of trial and it worked right away after this one. I was like discovering the ultimate formula to cue Cancel you know. It is just amazing!

Frankly speaking, I just have basic PC knowledge and I don't know why this works or how this works, BUT IT WORKS! My "guess" is: the power adapter and the mother board seems to have some sort of voltage or current problem which makes the USB ports not working with any USB devices. Power supply is fine, but those device just do not work properly, maybe the current is too large or something which interfere with the programs or common softwares which pre-installed at Window for basic components like mouse or keyboard to work. Another guess is: the mother board seems to have some kind of memory of something, once those mouse and keyboard malfunction for the first time, it doesn't matter how many time you plug or unplug them, the problem just stay put. I noticed that the light of the keyboard is still on after the Window screen, and one time, i continuously pressing the "Cabs" button again and again during those switching screen to see when it failed. After the Window screen started, the Cabs LED light just been switched on in time and doesn't go off. After I unplug the keyboard and plug in again, the Cabs LED light still on as if I haven't unplug it, time and time again. Logically it should have turned off after I unplugged and plugged in again, maybe just the "Num" LED light on but not the "Cabs" LED light, is as if there is a memory of the same error somewhere saved within the desktop.

There you go, THIS IS IT ! THIS IS THE ANSWER ! If you do enjoy this story, I know you are pretty messed up and frustrated by this problem too. That's why I am here right now, just to release the pain and also help any one who is tortured by this stupid problem and looking for AN ANWER.

If some IT or computer genius could tell me what is really happening underneath, I would be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Little Joey from Hong Kong

Reactions: dkwbsn

darthazad

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks Little Joey from Hong Kong.

My dad's laptop keyboard stopped working in Windows 7. It still worked in the BIOS but not when I booted the windows install disk. I shut the laptop down, disconnected the power cable and battery and held the power button down for ~10 seconds. When I reconnected everything the keyboard now works. Damn trons.

-phil

essbee

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Hi there damo
had the same problem as you, with the same motherboard.as you. Tried Little Joey from Hong Kongs advice, didn't work. Then went into safe mode, control panel, user accounts & there I removed my password (when Windows was booting up, I had to enter my password, which couldn't be done because of my keyboard, wireless AND cord not wanting to work). After that, the whole start screen scenario was bypassed & mouse & keyboard are operating.
Also revert your bios settings to basic configuration? I had Windows downloads also trying to install, & every time I rebooted because of the password not being able to to be entered, the whole download operation would start again.But when the start screen was bypassed, all the uploads were uploaded, computer restarted & I haven't had issues since. Even had issues with AMDA00 drivers resolved.
This worked for me, hope it works for you
essbee

mdtdej06

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015
Little Joey, thank you so much for posting this. It didn't work exactly but something it lead me to did! Just shutting down the power supply and then turning back on and restarting normally didn't seem to work. So I decided to try holding down the start button while simultaneously turning on the power supply after the power supply had been shut off for at least 10 seconds. It worked!!!! I got some text in the windows 10 pre-startup screen that said something like "Windows is preparing devices" and then when windows fully started I had the mouse and keyboard functional again. Like you, this makes no sense to me but it worked like a charm. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Horates

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

I was also able to get some help this way on my HTPC. Only I realized, that as I have the USB-IR receiver in my system, I had to disconnect it in order to get through...

davey_2

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
@mdtdej06 your method worked for me
Msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard
Cpu i7-4790k
Psu corseair 750

Guys i have been facing the same problems and it just randomly happends out of no wher
Just switched the power suply button a few time and it gave me like a repair menu it stated that it will try to fix it self and it will boot from a eurlier stage so it did it booted up and eveything was fine shitty windows 7

Good luck and manny thx bless yal !

Wouter van Vliet

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Found this tread looking for a solution to this exact same problem. And while reading, the solution presented itself.

Just wait. Give it a moment. And then another one. It's probably just being all Windows slow and installing some drivers for all the new chips.

That at least worked for me. Think it needed the better part of 5 minutes at least.

realityunlimited

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I followed one of the suggestions above, deleting the unknown device in system. I also went to my usb port in windows and disabled the ability for these ports to be put to sleep by power management. It is working now. I do no know which caused it to work, but give it a try!

Laura Oliver

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I replaced the keyboard,,,,, had same problem with new keyboard/
I kept turning the computer off and back on and that would not fix it.

this worked: Cutting the computer off was not good enough because the computer still had a little light inside. I had to unplug the power cord to get the light to completely turn off. I then turned the computer back on and my keyboard worked properly.

I think this is what little Joey from Hong Kong was telling us.... Dont just cut the computer off....you must unplug the power chord to extinguish the hard drive light.

kikimon429

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I found the solution in this CHAOS!
Here's what I had experienced. I am a windows 7 user by the way.

Im using ps2 keyboard it works in BIOS but suddenly stops working on startup.
My USB mouse is working. If anycase yours dont work just simply go to device manager and uninstall the mouse driver under Universal Serial Bus controllers then restart your pc.

AFTER HOURS SPENT IN FRONT OF MY COMPUTER READING FORUMS AND HOW TO IN OTHER WEBSITE . I FINALLY HAD IT WORKING.

first you must open ease of access that can be found in control panel select change how keyboard works. hit okay then double click on start on screen keyboard.

now. you must type regedit on your search bar in start menu.

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt

here's the catch since you are using windows 7 you must go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
SERVICES
i8042prt

double click on start and change hexidecimal to 1 used the on screen keyboard to type it.
RESTART PC.

NOW after restart make sure you go back to ease of access in control panel and uncheck all the box and hit apply and OK.

it works for me and I hope it works for you too!

--- KIKIMON429 from PH

sisso_young_tec

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
Hi everyone, i discovered that this problem is very unforetold that's why most IT guys just guess solutions and then suggest it to people who have no clue, that to me is just to give you a relief, you know "someone who knows something is on it". The only solution is to repair windows; there is this folder that that is messed up especially when you were trying to burn a CD and it refused to recognize it as blank and then it hanged then you forcefully removed it or forcefully shut down....\windows\system32\config .....the contents of this folder are corrupt. this is what causes the problem.

Boot with the original installation CD then repair, or any other repair tool. All the best

74gee

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016

This is totally unbelievable. I've been a full time computer technician for over 20 years and I read your story while chucking to myself thinking it was the installation of windows that did it but I thought fxxk it and tried it anyway. When I got to the login screen and the caps lock key worked, then the num and scroll locks illuminated I almost fell off my chair! It worked! Thanks Little Joey from Hong Kong

Sincerely,
Fat Andy from the Philippines

Stanko_1

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
This fixed my problem go into your bios and play with your keyboard for about a minute or two then when your pc boots up click num lock when the light turns off so it glows then just wait the next time it turns off you will not be able to turn it back on so just wait the lights of the num lock should start glowing and you should be able to use the keyboard :)

TheGiggity

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
So I just had this same issue. Cursor would show up in bios but wouldn’t in Windows. Couldn’t even move the thing. I tried it all. Using another USB port. Turning it off then turning it back on. Here’s what I found. All fucking useless. I opened my tower trying to figure out what happened. My secondary hard drive had come unplugged from the psu. I plugged it back in and viola!! The mouse works perfectly.

cgkremer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I know this may sound like many of the other posts about this problem, but I think Ive isolated the problem. I recently bought a new custom computer with windows 7 pro. For some reason i re-installed windows 7 just to make sure and now the mouse/keyboard will work in BIOS, but not in windows. Ive spent hours looking at solutions, and I can assure you no bios altering is needed regarding USB configuration etc... I think it has to do with an unknown device that has cropped up in the device manager, and it seems that when I uninstall it within safe mode and restart into windows normally, the mouse and kb work fine. BUT when I look in device manager in windows the same unknown device is still there. I cant seem to permanently uninstall it. Furthermore I dont know what it is; I cant see a DEV or VEN code.

Anyone had this sort of problem before? I know it has to to with this unknown device because through uninstalling it ive gotten the mouse & kb to work.

Just as a further note, it seems that when I get to the stage where ive temporarily uninstalled these unknown devices, windows always seems to be installing the devices, which takes a few minutes each time.

Also if this helps Ive got an ASUS H87I-PLUS Motherboard

I realize this is an old thread, however I recently encountered this issue - Attempted Driver Updates, Rebooted, Disabled Peripherals/USB prevented me from logging in or accessing Virtual Keyboard yet worked perfectly within BIOS. Booting to Safemode didn't work either. Due to another error which I was troubleshooting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 [0xC1900101][0x30018], the Startup Repair/OEM Reset resulted in an error [0xC000000F]. After spending quite some time, I realized the obvious solution had been staring me in the face the entire time...

On Startup, Hit F8 as if you were going to attempt a Safe Mode boot, but instead select the [Disable Driver Signature Enforcement] option.

Hopefully this helps. I've gone out of my way to include this answer on multiple forums as it was sorely needed while scouring the internet for troubleshooting advice and experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS