Mouse barely working, stuck in windows, can't click on most things, middle click doesn't work

Link97

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Hi there,

Since one or two days i've had the most irritating issues ever with Windows 10: the mouse (Cooler master storm sentinel advance II) could barely click on anything, and the middle click wasn't even working.

Later i noticed that it was sometime kindah stuck in a window, and had major troubles clicking and scrolling in another window (even with the help of alt+tabbing).
I successfully uninstalled it and its software, rebooted and everything was fine but hours or a day later everything was wrong AGAIN.

I plugged my old Logitech G400 (one month ago it had constant micro-freezes issues, that's why i bought the mouse mentionned above) and it suddenly fixed the problem for a couple of minutes.

I thought that was related to a windows update, so i restaured a version of Windows (from March 6th). I used DISM.exe. Actually, if that issue occurs, i still can move the cursor but it can't highlight anything (i.e. in the start menu), that's why i thought it was because of Windows.

The issue also occurs in the Windows safe mode. But not in the mobo bios.

Today i backed everything up, downloaded W10 from Microsoft's website, burned it onto a usb flash drive and i was going to do a very fresh and clean install. But i had the SAME GODAMMN PROBLEM IN THE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION UTILITY....

And plugging the g400 fixed everything AGAIN for a couple of seconds.

Now i've booted with the Storm Sentinel II unplugged, and that good ol' G400 plugged.

Guess what? The supposedly dead mouse is working fine until now. Everything seem fine.

Can someone help me please?

Config is:
W10 x64 (installed from Seven through the update utility but i now know it's maybe not the cause).
i5-4670k (a be-quiet ventirad is attached to it)
8gb ram (kingston, CL9 1660hz i think, maybe)
R9 280x
Mobo: msi z87-g45

ps: forgot to mention the computer had several shutdown issues recently: monitor receiving "no signal" but computer still powered on and hdd led showing regular activity. The only thing i could do is press the "reset" button and shut down again from the password screen. Could it be related to the mouse?

I'm completely desesparated right now. I now it can be related to ANYTHING. Some years ago i had a wifi-card that was causing constant freezes and shutdown, so i'm going paranoid now. 'Think i'm going to use memtest soon.

I also had an old optical disc drive that suspiciously stopped working properly, a long time ago

Sorry for my terrible english.
I'm also sorry if it's in the wrong section but i was almost convinced that was an OS issue.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I would do a fresh install of windows 10 you can install windows 10 and use windows 7 key to activate, installing windows 7 and then upgrading to windows 10 can cause problems.
Also you may want to see if there is an update for your bios on your motherboard i have found it fixes strange hardware issues with windows 10.

Link97

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

Yes, i think i need to check if i can update the bios, totally forgot that, thanks.

As i said, i was going to do a fresh W10 install, but the problem also exists in the W10 setup (meaning it's only the setup on a usb drive working, not the W10 i got from 7 on the hdd). I really hope a bios update fix this all.

Link97

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
I spent one day without the Sentinel Advance 2, but with the G400 instead. I've rebooted and shut the pc down many times with no issues.

I used the MSI utility to update my bios (and the realtek and intel drivers too btw). I'm glad i'm living in 2016: it installed the 1.90 bios (i had the 1.50 before) within Windows in less than 2 minutes.

So now i'm booting again with BOTH mouses plugged. Everything seems ok for now. Hope that was a bios issue: according to the msi 1.90 bios patch note, that update ""improves usb compatibility"".

UPDATE: No, it's working terribly wrong again. Not related to the bios then. Maybe the mouse is actually really fu**ed.

Link97

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Bump?
The mouse was plugged to usb 3 ports, but it looks like plugging it to a usb 2.0 port is very effective at all.

I'm now realizing that the mouse was indeed the only cause of shutdown issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you get the latest drivers for mouse? http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/mice/sentineladvanceii/

Specs show its a USB 2 mouse.

I spent three months working out my speakers were dying, at least yours was quicker.

Link97

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Obviously...yes, i grabbed the latest drivers for the mouse long ago, i updated the firmware.

Installed them twice actually.

As i said before, i had issues without windows launched (in the windows setup), so that's not really linked to drivers i believe.

TRENDING THREADS