[SOLVED] Mouse button inputs are being ignored at random

Sky_Render

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
This issue has plagued my system for about 4 months now and I'm getting sick of it. At seemingly random, the mouse buttons just do not respond; the mouse cursor itself will still move about, but no matter how much I click, I get nothing. This tends to last for about 2 to 5 seconds, by my best reckoning, and is usually prefaced by my having done some form of keyboard input (but not always). Here's what I've figured out so far, per existing posts I could find relating to this issue:

1. It mostly seems to affect video games; the stand-outs I've seen recently are Stardew Valley and Satisfactory.

2. It's not the mouse itself, as I've had the exact same problem with three different devices plugged into the system.

4. It's not the USB port, as I have tried every single USB port on my system and experienced the exact same problem on all of them.

5. It's not the antivirus doing it; the problem persists regardless of whether it's active or not.

6. It's not a virus, or if it is, it's one that's gone undetected by my antivirus for 4 months at minimum now.

7. Task Manager shows that CPU and memory usage are not spiking when it happens.

8. Opening Task Manager alleviates the issue for about 15 minutes, but then it comes right back.

If anyone has any advice for me on this matter, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Is it a wireless one? If it is, it shares radio channels with every wifi and bt device around it. I switched my gaming rig to wired i/o for that very reason.

Sky_Render

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
As I mentioned, the main culprits are all games. I have yet to see the issue pop up with any other software besides games, now that I think about it. Specifically it seems to affect titles using the Unreal Engine (and Stardew Valley for some reason, which is decidedly not using the Unreal Engine in any way, shape or form).

Sky_Render

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
My main pointer is indeed a wireless trackball. However, the same issue is popping up with a wired trackball in the exact same fashion. Also, it only affects the mouse buttons, and not the pointer.

I've discovered a new and annoying facet to it that I hadn't realized before: if I don't input any keyboard or mouse movement commands, all button clicks are ignored perpetually. Until I have inputted enough keypresses or mouse movements, the buttons are completely unresponsive.

EDIT: After much testing and deliberation, a cause has been found for at least one of the games that was being a problem. Borderless windowed mode does not lock the cursor to the window, therefore if the (invisible) cursor leaves the window, mouse clicks change the focus of the window. It's basically a design issue with games that have no pointer on screen while in borderless windowed mode. Thank you for trying to help, everyone!

Last edited: