Mouse Buttons Keep Switching

Strook

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
My mouse buttons have been switching actions ever since I swapped them as a joke. I researched a little and the problem goes beyond Registry Editor, it involves the oem22.inf and msmouse.inf files. Which file should I delete? What should I do?

Solution
sounds like old version of win 10 just from menu descriptions (you might try to upgrade to 1607)

current path is Settings/devices/Mouse & Touchpad - then only choice is select your primary button
Even then I can only see one choice for mouse buttons and that switches the left with right button
you can choose "Additional Mouse Options" but it doesn't seem to have a way to set defaults
these are default settings but it doesn't show a way to reset mouse settings to default: http://superuser.com/questions/1094987/what-are-the-default-mouse-settings-on-windows-10

Have you tried going to Settings/Accounts/Sync your settings and turn off account syncing as it may be microsoft have a record of your account using the wrong key and it resets it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what did you do to change them and we see what we need to do to fix it

you could try
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
then once its finished, copy/paste this into same window
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, DISM fixes the files SFC uses to fix files, so if SFC had errors the first time, rerun it after DISM has finished

If DISM asks for sources, you will need to do following if you have the anniversary edition of win 10 (Do you know if have you got the Anniversary edition of Win 10, did you get a 45 minute long upgrade in last 2 months? you can check by right clicking start menu, choosing run... and type Winver - if version says 1607 then you have the Anniversary edition. If you have something else, skip next part and go to end)

If you have anniversary edition, download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

If you don't have latest version of win 10, then go to Here and choose update now, it will download the upgrade assistant. Run it and it will update PC to latest version of Windows and probably fix this along way

Colif

Win 11 Master
sounds like old version of win 10 just from menu descriptions (you might try to upgrade to 1607)

current path is Settings/devices/Mouse & Touchpad - then only choice is select your primary button
Even then I can only see one choice for mouse buttons and that switches the left with right button
you can choose "Additional Mouse Options" but it doesn't seem to have a way to set defaults
these are default settings but it doesn't show a way to reset mouse settings to default: http://superuser.com/questions/1094987/what-are-the-default-mouse-settings-on-windows-10

Have you tried going to Settings/Accounts/Sync your settings and turn off account syncing as it may be microsoft have a record of your account using the wrong key and it resets it everytime you login

Another easier option is make a new local account and see if the problem persists as I assume its a setting saved for your user. It takes about 2 minutes and you can make it an admin and copy all the current users folders onto new one from c/users/username so its got just as much access as old user.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Solution