[SOLVED] mouse causing cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
ok so my explorer uses up to 10% cpu usage when moving my mouse on windows desktop.
but when i use other programs like Vivaldi browser that instead increases cpu usage with mouse. i saw on Google that this can mean a malware or something to cause it
I wonder, is this normal? I have run windows defender, malwarebytes and roguekiller but found no malware.
Would be glad for help.

Last edited:
Solution
this is actually relatively normal. i see your specs, and am surprised that you notice this actually happening. but yeah... moving the mouse DOES consume processing power, and is normal. but at the same time, your specs are good enough you shouldn't even notice this.

i see the mouse you are using is wired. so, even less reason to notice this.

well... i can think of a few things.

A.) faulty USB driver. not necessarily the driver for mouse, which is also a possibility.
B.) faulty mouse
C.) faulty USB port(s)

D.) low-end USB port(s). on older systems, processing requirements are significantly reduced by using a PCI USB card. however, this shouldn't be a problem for you on that motherboard.

E.) it is always possible it is the polling...

Ralston18

Titan
First update your post to include full system hardware specs.

What version of Windows 10? Is it up to date?

Make and model mouse?

Even if the CPU goes to 15% are there actually any video or performance problems? Consider that it makes sense that moving the mouse around does make the CPU work more....

Starting point is to go to mouse manufacturer's website to directly download, reinstall, and reconfigure the mouse drivers.

Likewise for Vivaldi - it may be buggy or corrupted.

If reinstalling the mouse drivers does not work then reinstall Vivaldi.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
First update your post to include full system hardware specs.

What version of Windows 10? Is it up to date?

Make and model mouse?

Even if the CPU goes to 15% are there actually any video or performance problems? Consider that it makes sense that moving the mouse around does make the CPU work more....

Starting point is to go to mouse manufacturer's website to directly download, reinstall, and reconfigure the mouse drivers.

Likewise for Vivaldi - it may be buggy or corrupted.

If reinstalling the mouse drivers does not work then reinstall Vivaldi.
i5 8600k. gtx 1070 ti. 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram. PRIME Z370-P
mouse= Logitech G402

I do have fps drops or micro drops in most games that i play.

Its not only vivaldi but also steam and other programs
i think there might be a video problem too but am not sure.

for example in task manager the explorer goes up to 10% (6-9%)cpu usage
when moving mouse around desktop
vivaldi goes up to about 6% when moving mouse around

I think is normal but idk. i tried my other pc also with linux on and there the cpu
usage only went from 1-3%

ive installed the logitech gaming software for my logitech. i also tried to uninstall mouse.
i have windows always up to date

added: but i am moving the mouse fast around in circles. so maybe its normal???

Last edited:

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
this is actually relatively normal. i see your specs, and am surprised that you notice this actually happening. but yeah... moving the mouse DOES consume processing power, and is normal. but at the same time, your specs are good enough you shouldn't even notice this.

i see the mouse you are using is wired. so, even less reason to notice this.

well... i can think of a few things.

A.) faulty USB driver. not necessarily the driver for mouse, which is also a possibility.
B.) faulty mouse
C.) faulty USB port(s)

D.) low-end USB port(s). on older systems, processing requirements are significantly reduced by using a PCI USB card. however, this shouldn't be a problem for you on that motherboard.

E.) it is always possible it is the polling rate of your mouse causing this. however, we are back to system specs... yours is good enough that it shouldn't have any noticeable impact.

F.) if you are using a particularly high resolution. i also have a GTX 1070 Ti, and it falls miles short for modern gaming at 4k+60FPS. if you are using anything higher than 1080p, i would try lowering your resolution.

the software for your mouse should have an option to change the polling rate. if not, you can try hidusb. https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf

i see your mouse supports 1000 polling rate. however, do be warned about using hidusb to overclock a mouse... if the mouse isn't designed to run at a high polling rate, you could burn out the sensor inside.

Reactions: shadowcat777
Solution

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
So how do i update my drivers ? I have search on logitech.com but they dont have any driver downloads

added: I tried with another mouse i have at home and then it only went 1-3% cpu usage

Last edited:

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Yeah its the mouse. im using another mouse now and the cpu usage goes from 1-3% when circling the dekstop fast. this should be OK ? but its a regular logitech mouse (cheap one.)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Overall (being in agreement with @swineadam) any device or peripheral is going to use some measure of the cpu.

GPU's came about as a means to off-load some of the computing work from the cpu.

As for a cheap mouse - it is cheap because very little is done to ensure that the mouse is a quality product with respect to design, materials, assembly, and support (including drivers). Generally a throw-away device for situations like when little hands may bath the mouse in the toilet.

As for the missing Logitech drivers: really not sure where that all may have gone astray. My humble opinion being that as devices near EOL the available support is allowed to whither away.

Why update drivers for a product that is no longer directly sold? There are websites that provide software for older devices but some of those websites are best avoided.

I found the following Logitech link:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/search#q=G402 driver&s=all

You may or may not want to try the drivers being made available.

Just as a means to verify that the original mouse has failed in some manner or the drivers being used at that time were corrupted.

Always good to have an extra mouse around even if its performance is not what you would like.

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
@shadowcat777

well... here is a link for the software for your mouse > https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/a...402-Hyperion-Fury-Ultra-Fast-FPS-Gaming-Mouse

at least, i think that is your mouse. and i don't know if they will work or even help, but... if installing the drivers/software for your mouse doesn't help, try to lower the DPI, polling rate, and/or desktop resolution. the software should be able to adjust the DPI and polling rate.

as far as seeing the 1~3% you mention, that would be pretty normal. i notice 1~2% on my cheap mouse and about 2~3% on my better mouse using a higher DPI and polling rate. again, another factor to influence this consumption is going to be your desktop resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS