[SOLVED] Mouse connected to KVM stutters when under load after Windows 10 reinstall ?

johentie

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Ive read various posts but nothing is working.
Before I reinstalled Windows it working just fine. I am not talking about switching between my MBP and Windows 10 machine.

MBP everything works fine

Windows 10 after reinstall:
Mouse connected directly to PC tower = smooth and amazing
Mouse connected to KVM = stutters when PC is under load, rest of the time it operates normally.

When I purchased the KVM switch I l literally just took it out of the box and plugged it in and it worked just fine.

I tried the power management method, the disabling unnecessary services, uninstalled drivers for the mouse, tried updating drivers for the switches (which there are none).

If the switch acted like this prior to reinstall i wouldn't be complaining, but it worked flawlessly before ; <

Solution
Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Watch while mouse is directly connected to PC tower and again when connected via KVM and under load.

Look for what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

My thought is that one of KVM cables (likely a plug on one end or the other) is the problem.

Are you able to swap in other known working KVM cables? On the Windows 10 side.....

Also check the connected ports for signs of damage or debris.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Watch while mouse is directly connected to PC tower and again when connected via KVM and under load.

Look for what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

My thought is that one of KVM cables (likely a plug on one end or the other) is the problem.

Are you able to swap in other known working KVM cables? On the Windows 10 side.....

Also check the connected ports for signs of damage or debris.

Solution

johentie

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Thanks @Ralston18

I will see if i can see if there is any difference and see what's causing the mouse to skip. Opening Overwatch just made the mouse unusable! Where as before I played any game without issues.

i switched out cables with the one connected to my MBP, i even used another KVM from my wife's setup and same issue. I thought it was being underpowered, but again it was working before, but i did switch out the micro usb power connection as well with no luck.

I tried every USB port on my tower, on the MB and on the tower case (both 2.0 and 3.0 connections).

I guess i just have to start unplugging my mouse and keyboard and plug it directly into my tower when I want to use my Windows machine after work hours.