[SOLVED] Mouse disconnects/freezes for a second in some games only.

xxxmasterpvpxxx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
[Moderator Note: Updating to solved per OP.]

For about a year now I have been dealing with an issue with my mouse (Logitech G PRO Wireless), where in some games the mouse seems to freeze or disconnect for a short time. What happens is the mouse will hold the last input I had and act like I am still holding down that input, even when I let go. For example, If I'm firing a gun and let go during the freeze, it will continue firing until I press the button again. The freezes seem to last 0.5secs - 2secs, although it's hard to know since it's so random.

The weird part about it is it seems to happen only in some games. It never happens on my desktop, chrome or anything like that, at least not where I can notice it. The games I know it occurs in is Ready or Not, Chivalry 2 and Remnant 2. However it does not happen in Call of Duty, Escape from Tarkov, and honestly any single player game I've played recently. At first when the issue was happening I didn't know exactly what it was, as it seemed the mouse itself always allowed me to move it around the screen and was only the button inputs that were affected. Remnant 2 gave me the biggest piece of info, where when the freeze occurred, it was longer, wouldn't allow me to move the mouse at all during it (which is why I assumed it was disconnecting instead of just freezing), and also made this weird triple beep sound in my headphones. Remnant 2 is the only game where I have ever heard the beep sound. I haven't played the game for months and haven't heard those sounds since. I did look into that and saw some people saying it was something to do with a "dump" sound that your mobo plays when an input gets lost and isn't registered, but I couldn't find anything relating to my computer to fix it.

In terms of fixes I have tried, I tried disabling the "Allow the device to turn off to save power" options in device manager for all my USB ports, and that didn't work. I have tried 3 different other mice, 2 being Logitech and one being Razer, with a mix of wired and wireless mice, and all those had the issue as well. I also tried unplugging everything except what is needed, such as I only have a monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged in. When the issue first started occurring, I couldn't recall any software I downloaded in a close time span that could have caused the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Specs:

GPU: Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC

CPU: Intel i9 9900k

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB

Motherboard: z390 Aorus Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2023
no idea what this could be besides something from windows can you try running those games from a diffrent windows installation to see if the issue still persists

edit i mean on a seprate partition or from an external ssd dont reinstall windows to check this!

Ralston18

Titan
Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

You will need to leave the tool window open and visible. Play as normal but watch for what happens or changes when the mouse freezes.

It will require a bit of time and effort to work out the process.

You can also look in Reliabillity History/Monitor and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events being captured just before or at the time of the mouse freezes. Pay attention to when the beeps occur and check the logs thereafter.

Key is to discover what system resources are being used, to what extent, and what is using any given resource.

xxxmasterpvpxxx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

You will need to leave the tool window open and visible. Play as normal but watch for what happens or changes when the mouse freezes.

It will require a bit of time and effort to work out the process.

You can also look in Reliabillity History/Monitor and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events being captured just before or at the time of the mouse freezes. Pay attention to when the beeps occur and check the logs thereafter.

Key is to discover what system resources are being used, to what extent, and what is using any given resource.
I tried using Task Manager a while ago, just simply viewing the preview window graphs for each part. Although the GPU utilization was showing 0% in the game I was playing (HWMonitor was showing 99% usage), the gpu graph was flat. However, a few of the times the mouse froze, the graph spiked shortly and went right back down. This only happened 3 times and I can't replicate it, so I'm not sure if its a coincidence or if it's relevant or not.

I will do some testing today using Event viewer and Reliability monitor and see if I get any results.

xxxmasterpvpxxx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
no idea what this could be besides something from windows can you try running those games from a diffrent windows installation to see if the issue still persists

edit i mean on a seprate partition or from an external ssd dont reinstall windows to check this!
I do not have and external SSD at the moment, how would I go about installing Windows on a separate partition?

xxxmasterpvpxxx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Guys I figured it out. Reinstalled windows and it was working, and as I was downloading programs, I realised which one could possibly be causing the issue, installed it, tested, and the issue came back. Uninstalled it and issue was gone. It was LittleBigMouse, a program I used to align my monitors properly. Will not be downloading that again.

Reactions: jeffy9987