Question Mouse freezes up at the Windows login screen - - - I've spent 2 months trying to fix this ?

Mar 16, 2024
around 2 months ago i reinstalled windows using the windows 10 built in "remove everything" button. When everything was finished by pc had a strange new problem, that during the startup stage my mouse curser would freeze up at the Windows login screen, or in the screen before that, for around 10 minutes after i felt my pc become laggy, as webpages would have a stutter to them (when i move cursor nothing would happen, and then ill be at the end of the page suddenly).

Somehow, disabling my hard drive would sometimes fix the issue, the key word being sometimes, as one day it would be fine, the next the problem reappears. Everytime i restart i would get the issue too. I noticed then when i get the issue i would get a Windows spinning circle in the pre bios/windows black void before the actual startup.

a compiled list of things i have tried.

-testing both memory sticks seperatly, they both did it
- DDU and new drivers

- booting with only my boot drive

- booting with only my other ssd

- ~5 times reinstalling windows, with new drivers for everything

- cleanboots and driver updates.

- memory diagnostic tool (nothing wrong) and turning off xmp

- windows sfc /scannow

- windows updates

- turning fast boot off

- windows 10 and 11 both same issue

- turning fTPM off

-just hoping for it to go away

-some other stuff that i forgot

specs list if it helps
ryzen 5900x
corsair 32gb vengeance rgb pro (3200mghz)
asus nvidia rtx 4080 (on vertical mount and cable is too short to mount normally)
crucial 2tb ssd (tested with it as boot, still same isssue)
samsung 980 evo plus ssd (boot)
corsair 850w psu
asus tuf x570 wifi plus motherboard
lian li case

please somone help, thank you

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mar 16, 2024
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
during the startup stage my mouse curser would freeze up at the Windows login screen, or in the screen before that, for around 10 minutes after i felt my pc become laggy, as webpages would have a stutter to them (when i move cursor nothing would happen, and then ill be at the end of the page suddenly).
USB wired, USB dongle wireless, or Bluetooth mouse? Have you tried a different mouse?

Any other USB devices connected? Have you tested with no USB devices?

I had a similar problem which turned out to be a corrupted USB external hard drive. Boot took ages, and Windows would stutter and hang with opening up "This PC" explorer window. Stopped doing it when I unplugged it.
Somehow, disabling my hard drive would sometimes fix the issue
Can you clarify what you mean by "hard drive"? Do you mean an external hard drive, an internal SATA hard drive, or you're using the term generically to refer to the Crucial and Samsung SSDs you mentioned?

Mar 16, 2024
USB wired, USB dongle wireless, or Bluetooth mouse? Have you tried a different mouse?

Any other USB devices connected? Have you tested with no USB devices?

I had a similar problem which turned out to be a corrupted USB external hard drive. Boot took ages, and Windows would stutter and hang with opening up "This PC" explorer window. Stopped doing it when I unplugged it.

Can you clarify what you mean by "hard drive"? Do you mean an external hard drive, an internal SATA hard drive, or you're using the term generically to refer to the Crucial and Samsung SSDs you mentioned?
sata hard drive, and it no longer doesnt do it, took the pc to a repair place and now it still does it

usb wired mouse, usb wired keyboard, tested with different ports and devices.