Question Mouse input freezes at random, especially when clicking ?

Jul 14, 2024
Hello,

I recently purchased a new desktop PC running Windows 11. From the very beginning, ever since I set it up, the mouse will freeze randomly, although it happens more often when I'm clicking on something. Clicking and dragging a window, switching tabs, etc. Though it can happen at any time.

When it happens, the cursor will freeze in place (everything else on my computer will continue running, including videos, music, and video games), and it will stay frozen for a second or two. After it is done being frozen, the mouse will usually snap to its new location, and whatever input it was given before the freeze will have continued during the freeze. For example, if I'm clicking a different browser tab and the mouse freezes in that moment, when it unfreezes the mouse will have moved to where my hand had moved during the freeze, and clicked and dragged the window with it. It has also duplicated the input at least once, where when I moved an icon on my desktop, it double clicked it and opened the program.

The freezes happen probably every once every one or two minutes unless I'm clicking on a lot of things. It is just infrequent enough that I forget about it in between freezes and can't account for it, but frequent enough that it is seriously interfering with my computer usage. Especially games where input needs to be at least reasonably precise to be playable. Or games that are already laggy on their own, and don't need a faulty pointer causing problems.

Based on another thread with a similar issue, I'm worried I will need to update my computer's BIOS - which is something I do not feel comfortable doing on my own, so I would need to send it to someone who can, and that costs money. So I'm hoping someone has another, less extreme, idea that I can try first before committing to sending my computer away.

Things I have tried:
  • Updating all mouse, keyboard, and USB drivers.
    • (I think when I first set up this computer I was having a similar issue with the keyboard, but I have not noticed it recently)
  • Deleting "duplicate" mouse and keyboard drivers.
    • (In the device manager, my single mouse had like 5 drivers listed. I uninstalled all of them for the mouse and keyboard each and restarted via hard shut down. The duplicates did not reinstall themselves for the mouse, but it kept one "duplicate" for the keyboard so I assume that's normal)
    • ❗NOTE: Doing this DID actually fix the issue for a couple hours. But then it went back to freezing, and frankly I don't want to have to uninstall every single mouse driver and restart every time I turn on my computer.
  • Tried plugging into different USB ports
  • Tried a different mouse
  • Disabled "USB selective suspend settings" in the Power Plan
  • Disabled "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" on all USB drivers that had the option
  • Verified that
  • "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" was already disabled for the mouse and keyboard (I'm not even sure you can enable that option, it looked grayed out)
  • Disabled "Enhance pointer precision"
  • Disabled "Hide pointer while typing"
  • Checked if Realtek Audio was set to launch on startup (it wasn't)
  • Opened and restarted File Explorer through Task Manager
  • Ran "sfc/scannow" in cmd
Things I have NOT yet tried, but are on my to-try list:
  • Unplug and replug my HDMI cable
  • Clean the USB port and plug with compressed air
  • Systematically plug the mouse into every USB slot I have (this computer has so many, I've only tested the one I first plugged it into, and the 2 on the front of my computer)
  • Try a bluetooth mouse
  • Update the BIOS

Any ideas?
If not, I'll send it away to have the updated BIOS put on here and hope that fixes it. Like I said, that's not something I've ever messed with before, so as long as the quote I get is reasonable, I'd rather have a professional do that.

Jul 14, 2024
Specs:
OS ------------------- Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version ------------- 10.0.22631 Build 22631
Motherboard -------- Gigabyte B550 UD AC
CPU ----------------- AMD Ryzen 5 5500, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date - American Megatrends International, LLC. FB Y1, 11/15/2022
SMBIOS Version -- 3.3
GPU ----------------- AMD Radeon RX 6700
PSU ----------------- THERMALTAKE 600WATT GOLD 80 PLUS
RAM --------------- 16GB
RAM Manufacturer - (x2) A-DATA Technology DDR4
RAM Part Number - AX4U360038G18I-BB10
SSD --------------- WD_BLACK SN750 SE 1TB
Mouse ----------- CyberPowerPC Gaming Optical Mouse Elite M1-131

Doing a full scan with Windows Security didn't find anything, but I can also do an offline antivirus scan with Microsoft Defender if you think it matters.
I've had this problem right out of the box, but this PC WAS a display model originally, but my hope is that a wipe should have cleared everything.