Question Mouse is not working when the system is turned on ?

gowlet

Commendable
Aug 6, 2022
I own a SteelSeries Rival 600 mouse. Every time I turn on the computer, the mouse does not work and the lights do not turn on. After unplugging and plugging in the mouse USB cable a few times, it starts working. Whichever port I tried, the result is the same. My BIOS version is up to date. Windows 10 is up to date. SteelSeries software is installed. What might be the cause the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Try another known working mouse on your system.

Try the Rival 600 mouse on another known working system.

Determine if the start up problem follows the mouse or stays with the computer.

gowlet

Commendable
Aug 6, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Try another known working mouse on your system.

Try the Rival 600 mouse on another known working system.

Determine if the start up problem follows the mouse or stays with the computer.
Graphics Card: ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4080 Super
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RT 4x16GB 3600MHz CL16

I don't have a chance to try the mouse on another system. There is no other system around me.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

As a starting point: look in Reliability History/Monitor for error codes, warnings, or even informational events being captured just before or at the times the mouse fails to work. And what is different when the mouse does eventually work.

= = = =

Manually download (no third party tools or installers) the applicable Steelseries mouse drivers directly f rom the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Be sure that you are truly at the manufacturer's website. Just because the manufacturer's name appears in the URL does not mean that any given website is truly the manufacturer's website.

I found this website from among many websites "offering" the drivers:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice...09&utm_source=Partnerize&utm_medium=affiliate

Not sure about the details thereafter regarding the specifc driver/engine applicable to your mouse.

gowlet

Commendable
Aug 6, 2022
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

As a starting point: look in Reliability History/Monitor for error codes, warnings, or even informational events being captured just before or at the times the mouse fails to work. And what is different when the mouse does eventually work.

= = = =

Manually download (no third party tools or installers) the applicable Steelseries mouse drivers directly f rom the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Be sure that you are truly at the manufacturer's website. Just because the manufacturer's name appears in the URL does not mean that any given website is truly the manufacturer's website.

I found this website from among many websites "offering" the drivers:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice...09&utm_source=Partnerize&utm_medium=affiliate

Not sure about the details thereafter regarding the specifc driver/engine applicable to your mouse.
Do you think that the PSU of someone using this system may be insufficient? The PSU will not be able to power the mouse? The software for the product was downloaded from the actual page.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's are a critical component that provides three different voltages (3.3, 5,12) to various system components.

Faltering or failing with respect to any given voltage (or voltages) can and do cause a wide variety of problems.

Identifying the PSU and its' associated specs is a necessary part of troubleshooting. Some PSUs simply do not last (low quality) and/or can be subject to power demands and fluctuations that bring about an early end to the designed in EOL (End of Life).

Yes, per @SkyNetRising , a broken wire could be one reason. A faulty USB port could be another.

May simply be a loose connections somewhere and once the system warms up something expands and tightens...

Key is to find a way to test another known working mouse on your system or to test your mouse on another known working system.

If there is no other system available, hopefully you will at least be able to obtain another mouse.

And do remember to look in Reliability History/Monitor for errors, etc. that match the times mouse problems occurred. Another tool that can be used is Event Viewer - not as user friendly.