Question Mouse/keyboard functions are delayed when monitor wakes up ?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
So before the monitor goes to sleep mode, I like do some typing or scrolling on the browser. After waking it up from sleep mode, the text page and scrolling do not respond instantly and either take time to respond back or that I have to click something else like the menu tab to make it go back to usual.

How to make it so that it instantly responds like how it does [did] earlier?

Colif

Win 11 Master
this might work, its a little old

Here is what worked for me.

Go to Device Manager.

Then under the View tab click show hidden devices.

Click "Human interface devices". Delete from the bottom up all the extra mouse entries.

They will be a lighter color than the active one.

Then Click on "Mice and other pointing devices" and do the same.

If you delete the active mouse and it quits working, unplug it (USB Only) and replug it back in.

This will reinstall the mouse.

I think Windows gets confused on which mouse to use when it wakes up.

Hope this helps!
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...e-up-from-sleep-mode?forum=itprovistahardware

this might help too - https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/keyboard-not-responsive-after-sleep-windows-10.88781/

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Can anyone help here? Its not just mouse and keyboard delays but whenever I leave something like even Youtube paused to sleep mode, after like a while I wake it up, the tab is like frozen and can't respond until either I click something else or wait for a while. Is there really no fix for this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Often freezes after sleep are caused by memory-intensive programs that are unable to resume their operations upon waking. A simple way to test for this problem is turning on your computer, letting it load all of its background processes, and then putting it to sleep without opening any other applications. If the computer wakes without issue, the freezing issue could be caused by a specific application.

have you run any Malware scans?
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/computer-freezes-up-after-powering-back-up-sleep-mode-71742.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

I checked in safe mode and it doesn't happen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could mean its a driver that doesn't like waking up from sleep.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters can get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here - (I only need the non Microsoft drivers)
All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

i don't think start up programs would be cause but worth a try
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Colif

Win 11 Master
looks at age of drivers... well, um, mediatek wireless card dated 2015 looks like a good place to start, try taking it out before you put pc to sleep and see if you have same problem.

if it fixes it, we have to find newer drivers if they exist. Or just use wired ethernet connection.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
looks at age of drivers... well, um, mediatek wireless card dated 2015 looks like a good place to start, try taking it out before you put pc to sleep and see if you have same problem.

if it fixes it, we have to find newer drivers if they exist. Or just use wired ethernet connection.

I looked it up and apparently its a driver for the Xbox controller that I have with the wireless receiver. How do I disable it though?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
How about disconnecting controller and see if it is cause before we look at it any more.

I disconnected the Xbox receiver and it still doesn't do anything after waking the monitor up.

The most notable thing that happens is whenever I wake the monitor from sleep while watching youtube, I get this white screen here on youtube.

View: https://imgur.com/gqXF8SO

After clicking something, that screen on youtube disappears and everything goes back.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try a clean boot even though you don't have many startup programs, it could still be one of them, worth a try.

if its not a driver, it has to be a program.

that youtube behaviour is odd, as its only in the browser, not above it.

Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
try a clean boot even though you don't have many startup programs, it could still be one of them, worth a try.

if its not a driver, it has to be a program.

that youtube behaviour is odd, as its only in the browser, not above it.

Did a clean up boot, disabled all the startups, restarted and tried it again...still has that issue regarding youtube. So I enabled it all back and the issue still persists.

I have to say that it no longer occurs outside of browsers which means that it instantly responds to others within a second. Like now it responds to file explorer instantly after waking up. Its only in the browsers that have this issue and I tried it on a different browser as well and it still has that issue unable to scroll down or display that youtube frame from the last point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Were the instructions that you found in that research related to Hardware Acceleration? If not, can you visit Settings --> Additional --> System --> Hardware Acceleration and set this option to Disabled? NOte that you’ll have to relaunch to apply changes. See if this changes the behavior when your PC goes to sleep.
https://community.brave.com/t/brave-freezes-when-computer-gets-woken-up-from-sleep-mode/75960/4

Do you know if its new or old Edge?
the fix is same, turn off hardware acceleration

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
run a full scan on Bitdefender recently?
its pretty good but a 2nd opinion won't kill it - https://www.safer-networking.org/download/
as it only effects browsers, have you tried any others?

i doubt brave uses chromium, the new Edge does.

Ok, I did a full scan both on Bitdefender and safer. Both showed nothing and the issue still persisted. Since edge also gave the same issue, I decided to get Firefox and check if that issue happens there and shockingly..it doesn't happen in Firefox one bit. I mean I left it idle for a while and the monitor slept. The minute it woke up, that white screen on Youtube from earlier was never there and it showed the exact image frame that was paused.

So now what? Do I raise a complaint on Brave or something?

TRENDING THREADS