mouse/keyboard lag/stutter, probably caused by graphic card.

Sep 7, 2018
My specs:

Motherboard: MSI B350m PRO-VDH
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 TI OC 4GB

I have built a computer on my own and since then I have mouse and keyboard lags. It's not sluggish, it's a kind of stuttering that happens randomly. You could call it an input disconnect. Especially when graphics performance is required, but also in Windows. Sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes so violent that the Computer does not receive the keyboard or mouse input. When I play CS GO, it rarely happens, but more clearly. And the strange thing is that the game runs completely smoothly. When streaming movies, these stutters occur every few seconds very regularly. It is very weak but you will notice it when moving the cursor.

It has nothing to do with the wireless mouse. It also occurs with a wired usb mouse.

However, I noticed some interesting things. After I changed the new graphics card against an old GTX 650 ti, this Lag problem did not seem to occur anymore, it was gone.
If I leave the new Geforce 1050ti in and uninstall its current drivers, everything is sluggish but I think that the stuttering or these input lags no longer occur. Of course I can not use the computer without a video driver.

I have already tried several things to fix the problem. Mostly everything you can find on Google, unfortunately without success. I suspect/hope that the graphics card, the driver of the graphics card or any settings (graphics settings or BIOS?) cause this issue.

I've been trying to get the problem under control for over a month now, slowly I really do not know what to do anymore. The internet is full of mouse lag issues, each one very special.

I have Windows reinstalled, all current chipset drivers installed, done a BIOS update, only video driver installed, no Nvidia audio driver, etc. Done all the things that you can find online, anyway, still this Stutter.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
I've noticed a similar issue I have had recently where in a game the game plays perfectly smoothly but when I alt tab out to check something online at times I'll have an issue where the mouse has huge lag bordering on freezing issues. For me the issue somehow had to do with the huge memory use of Firefox and it would always stop if I shut down and reopened my browser. I think the current iteration of Firefox has memory issues when lots of tabs are open. Could what you are experiencing be a memory issue?

Sep 7, 2018
Since it was normal with my old graphics card, I had stopped looking for other sources of error. I am using Chrome. The error occurs even if I do not use chrome, albeit less frequently.

I have now noticed that normal netflix streams cause heavier lags than youtube 4K streams. The RAM usage is in both situations the same and low. Max. 13% of 16 GB. The CPU usage is a few percent higher on Netflix streams but still under 10%. That's very strange.

Are there better ways to see what's going wrong than with the Windows Task Manager. Especially because the lags occur very regularly in the streams.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
You could try downloading Process Explorer it has way more information than Task Manager and it's free. It lets you see all the processes and exactly what resources they are using, when they start and when they end.
I know you've been working on this a while so I assume that you have reinstalled the video card drivers probably multiple times but have you tried rolling back to a previous driver? Sometimes for whatever reason current GPU drivers are unstable so it's worth a shot. Also did you change any other settings after getting the new GPU such as resolution or refresh rate? Another thing you could try is using a different port on the GPU or even trying a different type of cable: HDMI, DVI, DP....

Also check out this thread on reddit it may have some more things you can try. Seems to be an issue with both Nvidia and AMD drivers. Apparently even a paused Netflix video can be causing spikes!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7hm8ak/netflix_causes_my_pc_to_stutter/

Sep 7, 2018
I've already tried all sorts of drivers. The Gigabyte, which are relatively old drivers, and also several older nvidia, even versions that someone in the nvidia forum described as those who could solve the problem. Unfortunately everything without success.

I have tried other screens and other cables tried as you said. It seemed better on an old small screen but that was because it's smaller and you barely notice it.

I read about Mouse lags and HPET here.
https://community.amd.com/thread/222614

After turning HPET on and off several times it seemed to be gone for a short time. After a restart the lags were back.

It's not just a Netflix streaming problem, it also happens in Windows, but more rarely. But a netflix stream is a guarantee that this problem occurs.

So slowly I think it's what you say. An incompatibility Nvidia / AMD AM4.